this week's comments from evworld

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2002
      ... from evworld.com. Disclaimer: I sometimes contribute to that
      magazine. But until recently I hadn't been reading the email comments
      each week. This week's from Bill Moore seem pretty good, give Protest
      info, and might provide intellectual ammo. I especially like the
      points about our desire to see a wider choice in the vehicles that we
      buy, and the point about parents wanting to consider a lower-range
      vehicle for teenagers.

      --------------------

      American's For Real Choice

      This week a good friend of ours visited from Las Vegas. She noticed my
      copy of High and Mighty, Keith Bradsher's controversial new book on
      "SUVs:The world's most dangerous vehicles and how they got that way."
      Our friend, like many Americans, drives an SUV and said she didn't
      want to be restricted in the choice of vehicles she drove, though she
      was concerned about the impact these vehicles have on highway safety
      and the energy they waste.

      I agreed with her that we should be free to choose the type of vehicle
      that best fits our needs, just as the American automotive industry
      contends. The problem is, we aren't being given a full choice. There
      are segments of the population that do want EVs, but they can't buy
      them or even lease them. Who are those segment?

      Let's start with urban commuters who travel at most 20 miles day and
      find parking at a premium. Small city EVs would be ideal for them.

      Then there are the millions of parents with teenagers who'd breathe a
      lot easier knowing their son or daughter was driving a car with
      limited speed and range. Even the teenagers would probably agree
      without too much protestation after realizing their insurance rates
      would be lower and the "fuel" -- courtesy of Dad and Mom's household
      electricity -- would cost them nothing.

      How about senior citizens who still need a degree of mobility but not
      the expense and horsepower of a conventional car?

      What about car share and station car programs like those in San
      Francisco, Seattle and New York? I'll bet if you put your mind to it,
      you could come up with other viable and valuable niche markets where
      EVs like the Th!nk City, eMotion Mobility's electric Smart, or ATT R
      and D's Parade makes a heck of a lot of sense.

      But no one -- with the exception of a relative handful of Toyota RAV4
      EVs in California -- is giving us that choice at the moment. So, when
      the car companies and their expensive lobbyists and PR firms say
      American's want "choice," I agree. I want the choice to choose
      electric!

      Time to Get Militant?

      If you live in or near San Francisco and you want to let Ford know how
      you feel about their decision to unplug the Th!nk, Thinkelectric.Org
      is holding a ReTh!nk protest rally at S and C Ford in San Francisco
      this Thursday, October 10th at noon. This grassroots organization is
      made up of current Th!nk and GM EV1 drivers, many of whom will be
      loosing their cars in the coming months as their leases end. Because
      there is no opportunity to <b>Choose Electric</b>, they aren't sure
      what they are going to do for transportation that is as
      environmentally-responsible and fun to drive as these great
      all-electric cars.

      So, if it's been a few decades since you "took to the streets," dust
      off your tie-dyed bell-bottoms, polish your peace medallion and join
      the party by the Bay.

      EVS 19

      This month EVS 19 convenes in Busan, Korea. Each year, this annual
      conclave of academicians, manufacturers and regulators rotates between
      Europe, North America and Asia. The dates are October 19-23 and
      details on the conference can be found at www.evs19.org.

      Because I just spent a week in China, I have elected to not attend
      this year. Instead, I will be attending the EVAA's Electric
      Transportation Conference in south Florida in December. If you are
      planning to attend EVS 19 and would be willing to report on the event
      on behalf of EV World, please contact me at editor@.... Or if
      you can pick up a spare copy of the proceedings for me, I would
      appreciate it.

      Hats Off to Nissan!

      Finally, while GM is busy crushing EV1s and Ford is looking for
      someone to take Th!nk Nordic off their hands, Nissan has quietly
      imported another 200 Altra EVs into the US for lease to fleets in
      California, according to a source at Nissan. The Altra, powered by
      lithium ion batteries, is probably the most refined EV yet produced.
      It's a true 5 passenger, four-door EV that's a cross been an SUV and
      the family station wagon. It's a shame that so few people will get the
      opportunity to see it, let alone drive it. Still, my hat's off to
      Nissan for this commendable initiative.

      Until next time, stay plugged into EVWorld...
    • Gary Holdsworth
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2002
        Josh, thanks for the note because I can't seem to get the ev-world server to respond today to my browser.
        I am sure you have nothing to do with that, but just letting somebody know.
        Gary Holdsworth

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2002
          I'll pass on the fact that you were having trouble with the site
          today.

          MM