Re: car in garage

  • csceadraham
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2005
      someone wrote:

      > >...but I'd be willing to bet not a single one of
      > >these "clean car apologists" are willing to sit in an
      > >enclosed garage with their engine running for any
      > >length of time....
      >
      > That statement is goofy. Is's not the pollution, but
      > toxic CO that would not be outside of an enclosed
      > space.
      >
      > Don't use it if you want to appear credible.

      That's bad advice. Carbon monoxide
      would indeed be outside an enclosed space;
      when city air is bad it typically contains
      on the order of 10 ppm CO, I seem to recall.

      A credible person would know that, within
      the category of cars that emit oxides of carbon,
      "clean" means emitting only CO2, and not CO --
      and this still doesn't make them confined-space-safe.

      Even being trapped in such a space with no source
      of CO2 but one's own respiration, which I think produces
      no CO, is routinely deadly; having a
      clean-but-CO2-emitting car or horse in there with you
      would hasten the end, unless you turned it off.

      --- Graham Cowan, former hydrogen fan
      http://www.eagle.ca/~gcowan/Paper_for_11th_CHC.html --
      boron: fireproof fuel, real-car range, nuclear cachet