car in garage

  • John Murray
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2005
      >...but I'd be willing to bet not a single one of
      >these "clean car apologists" are willing to sit in an
      >enclosed garage with their engine running for any
      >length of time....

      That statement is goofy. Is's not the pollution, but
      toxic CO that would not be outside of an enclosed
      space.

      Don't use it if you want to appear credible.

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • csceadraham
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2005
        --- In http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/evworld/message/4635
        someone wrote:

        > >...but I'd be willing to bet not a single one of
        > >these "clean car apologists" are willing to sit in an
        > >enclosed garage with their engine running for any
        > >length of time....
        >
        > That statement is goofy. Is's not the pollution, but
        > toxic CO that would not be outside of an enclosed
        > space.
        >
        > Don't use it if you want to appear credible.

        That's bad advice. Carbon monoxide
        would indeed be outside an enclosed space;
        when city air is bad it typically contains
        on the order of 10 ppm CO, I seem to recall.

        A credible person would know that, within
        the category of cars that emit oxides of carbon,
        "clean" means emitting only CO2, and not CO --
        and this still doesn't make them confined-space-safe.

        Even being trapped in such a space with no source
        of CO2 but one's own respiration, which I think produces
        no CO, is routinely deadly; having a
        clean-but-CO2-emitting car or horse in there with you
        would hasten the end, unless you turned it off.

        --- Graham Cowan, former hydrogen fan
        http://www.eagle.ca/~gcowan/Paper_for_11th_CHC.html --
        boron: fireproof fuel, real-car range, nuclear cachet