Re: Ex-GM CEO makes "green" auto industry comeback

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2002
      I think we will see these Ovonic NiMh batteries in some of the
      hybrids. It's a pity, but I don't see where we'll see them in an EV
      anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong.

      I think Mr. Ellis of Honda mentioned that the size of a battery in
      their hybrid versus an EV is about 1/20. So, that's a reason they're
      not impossible to find in hybrids.

      ECD has been making seemingly very good batteries for years, but,
      somehow, they were just never able to get into EVs in volume, aside
      from the EV1, which program is over, and which was never a
      non-prototype program.

      Perhaps the the failure to get the batteries out there has something
      to do with GM co-owning the Ovonic battery venture during the 90s and
      then more or less passing on this ownership (once it seemed they'd
      delayed things to an absurd point) to Chevron-Texaco (a major oil
      company).

      There hasn't been much critical commentary of a major Oil Company
      having a large stake in what in the past was the best hope by some for
      an advanced battery for EVs, but I'm not sure it shouldn't be pointed
      out that, for whatever reason, C-T Ovonic has yet to get their battery
      into a mass produced highway capable EV. NiMH does seem to be making
      the expected good headway into hybrids, thanks particularly to Toyota
      and Honda, and Matsushita which has I think been making the batteries.
      Matsushita has run afoul of ECD a few times in patent disputes I
      think.

      For real EVs I am hanging some hope on Hydro Quebec and their Lithium
      batteries and cars, because they're not a US company, because they
      make electricity (not Oil) and are thus a potential competitor to make
      fuel for cars, and so have a real incentive to get EVs on the road to
      buy their products, and they seem to really intend to do this thing.