Re: What’s new about the Lexus 450h?

  • murdoch_1998
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2005
      Very cool.

      You had to know that Toyota was onto something in performance with
      hybrid drivetrains when Porsche expressed some interest in putting
      such a Toyota drivetrain into their SUV (no idea if anything more has
      come of that idea.... it was just in the floating-the-idea stage).

      Did you read through the whole article? The rest of the article areas
      are kind of inconspicuous. If you didn't see it, get this part about
      replacing the standard Tachometer with a Power Meter (!):

      http://www.autoweb.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_page_order_int/7/article_id_int/454

      "Except for badging and a specific airflow vent design, the GS 450h
      looks identical to the regular 2006 GS models. Other differences
      include 18-inch alloy wheels and a power meter that replaces the
      tachomter. This design, which is new for Lexus, comes from the LF-A
      supercar concept and will be carried over throughout the lineup. With
      its attention to high, dramatic beltlines swooping curves and taut
      points of reference, the Lexus GS carries a refined, emotive design
      sure to please luxury buyers."

      --- In evworld@yahoogroups.com, Lee Dekker <heprv@y...> wrote:
      > Who knows, they aren't sold yet. It's not the low pollution output,
      but that's good. It's
      > not the better then usual MPG figures, but that's good also. What
      seems new and unique
      > about the 450h is the claim to kick ass with a big electric motor.
      People buying this
      > thing can't be all that worried about mileage but they do want to be
      able to smoke BMW
      > and Mercedes. My guess is that's what Lexus wants to do also.
      Competition is good and the
      > competition between these three is fierce.
      >
      > Why is this possibly a big deal? First off, if Lexus is telling it
      strait and the added
      > oomph of the electric motor in the 450h provides "a unique driving
      experience" that must
      > be felt to be understood, this will put them ahead of the other two.
      And, if this is

      http://www.autoweb.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_int/454

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2005
        It is very cool and potentially industry upsetting. Saw the part about the Tach but was
        more interested in all the references to performance resulting form on demand, instant
        torque. Didn�t see any mention about electric, air-conditioning pump, water pump and
        power steering. But those may be standard on all these Lexus these models for all I know.

        What this also brings up is the new Toshiba battery. They said next year and said
        automotive applications were a major focus, so things may get more interesting soon.

        --- murdoch_1998 <murdoch@...> wrote:

        > Very cool.
        >
        > You had to know that Toyota was onto something in performance with
        > hybrid drivetrains when Porsche expressed some interest in putting
        > such a Toyota drivetrain into their SUV (no idea if anything more has
        > come of that idea.... it was just in the floating-the-idea stage).
        >
        > Did you read through the whole article? The rest of the article areas
        > are kind of inconspicuous. If you didn't see it, get this part about
        > replacing the standard Tachometer with a Power Meter (!):

        http://www.autoweb.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_page_order_int/7/article_id_int/454

        > "Except for badging and a specific airflow vent design, the GS 450h
        > looks identical to the regular 2006 GS models. Other differences
        > include 18-inch alloy wheels and a power meter that replaces the
        > tachomter. This design, which is new for Lexus, comes from the LF-A
        > supercar concept and will be carried over throughout the lineup. With
        > its attention to high, dramatic beltlines swooping curves and taut
        > points of reference, the Lexus GS carries a refined, emotive design
        > sure to please luxury buyers."
        >
        > --- In evworld@yahoogroups.com, Lee Dekker <heprv@y...> wrote:
        > > Who knows, they aren't sold yet. It's not the low pollution output,
        > but that's good. It's
        > > not the better then usual MPG figures, but that's good also. What
        > seems new and unique
        > > about the 450h is the claim to kick ass with a big electric motor.
        > People buying this
        > > thing can't be all that worried about mileage but they do want to be
        > able to smoke BMW
        > > and Mercedes. My guess is that's what Lexus wants to do also.
        > Competition is good and the
        > > competition between these three is fierce.
        > >
        > > Why is this possibly a big deal? First off, if Lexus is telling it
        > strait and the added
        > > oomph of the electric motor in the 450h provides "a unique driving
        > experience" that must
        > > be felt to be understood, this will put them ahead of the other two.
        > And, if this is
        > > true, the unique abilities of the electric propelled vehicle will
        > get a very big boost in
        > > the eyes of the motoring public. And the only way BMW and Mercedes
        > can compete is with an
        > > electric drive of their own.
        > >

        > http://www.autoweb.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_int/454
        > >
        > > "kick-tail electric cattle prod acceleration"
        > >
        > > That's the kind of quote I like to read about electric drive.

        > > Read only the mail you want - Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • murdoch_1998
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2005
          > What this also brings up is the new Toshiba battery. They said next
          year and said
          > automotive applications were a major focus, so things may get more
          interesting soon.

          Yes, quite interesting indeed. If Toshiba could continue to make
          progress on this technology that you have pointed out (80% charge in
          ONE MINUTE?!) and if Toyota and others continue to make hybrid
          approaches more ubiquitous with better and more reliable and durable
          and affordable batteries that help lower Total Costs of Vehicle
          Ownership over the lifetime of the vehicles, then we will continue to
          see a moving-target which will continue to lead to a greater
          percentage of vehicular energy use being more efficiently used and
          stored and derived, and derived from cleaner better sources.

          Here is an interesting story from a couple of months ago on Toyota and
          Subaru/Fuji Heavy collaborating on hybrids and batteries, pointing out
          also a connection to GM, in that GM apparently is a stakeholder in
          Fuji Heavy.

          http://www.cars101.com/subaru/hybrid.html

          I'd love to see Toyota diversify and prove to itself that something
          outside of NiMH batteries can go .... with the reliability and
          durability and safety that is worthy of Toyota, into their Hybrid
          vehicles. If this can be done, then we are home, particularly given
          the licensing legal battle that occured over NiMH. I'd love to see
          that whole battle rendered utterly moot by bringing legitimate new
          battery contenders more prominently into consumer hands.
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6, 2005
            It�s hard to see how this new battery of Toshiba�s could do anything but shake up the
            industry. It could be delayed or could be less then its cracked up to be. We can only
            wait and see. But competition is good in all forms. It�s also very hard to imagine
            Toshiba making all this smoke without some fire at its base.

            The battery is the key, so it�s important to stay on top of this development as much as
            possible. The Toshiba battery (if real) will change the world of batteries and that will
            change the world in many other areas. Transportation is likely to be the most effected by
            such an invention. We also know there are very strong and entrenched forces who do not
            want such changes to occur. That too demands our attention.

            Likewise the Lexus 450h (if it lives up to its potential) has the potential to make great
            changes in the harts and minds of the motoring public. Double overhead cams driving 4
            valves per cylinder, with turbo or super charging and fuel injection is about as far as
            the ICE competition can go unless there is some other cool advancement in the wings.

            The electric motor is unique in the quest to be the fastest and to provide the best, most
            exhilarating driving experience. So far the electric motor has been used only as a way to
            get better MPG figures to lower emissions. Another situation that deserves our close
            scrutiny as it develops.

            May as well add Raser Technology to the list of potential apple cart upseters. Hard to
            say how they will play but the potential of more power from a smaller, lighter motor is
            by itself a big deal, for all current and future electric drive applications. Another
            product and company to follow as closely as we possible can.

            Getting even farther off the track and yet still very connected to the BEV, is the
            prospect of superior photovoltaic devices. I count as many as 7 companies working on
            different types of thin, flexible PV devices. All of these companies claim products to be
            much less expensive and producible from cheaper materials and in vastly greater
            quantities. It seems likely that at least one or two of these companies will soon have a
            product that will change the way we think about producing and distributing electricity.
            More watching needed here also.

            With all of these and other potentially earth changing prospects on the horizon, its no
            wonder nuke investors are out in force telling us all �Nukes are the only option�.

            As far as oil, it�s my guess that the oil companies do still run the show. They know what
            a wonderful and important product they have and they have learned how to work things to
            their advantage. My guess is that the oil companies will not jack the cost of oil out of
            reach. My guess is that the oilies will not try to stop companies like Lexus or Toshiba,
            but will instead seek ways to benefit from changes as they come abaout.