update on today's removal of 6 cars (apparently, we're down to 71)

  • murdoch_1998
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2005
      I spoke with Doug earlier and he was onsite and said that 6 cars had
      been removed. I thought from one or two comments that all 77 had
      been removed.

      The thinking was that they were being removed to Mesa directly for
      crushing, but I don't think this is a certainty. For example, maybe
      GM would pull a fast-one and deliberately dismantle them somewhere
      else, put the parts in storage to support the "100 or so" (one person
      told me) vehicles in operation in NY State or elsehwere, and then
      they'd get cute and annoying when asked about the crushed vehicles
      and be able to say they weren't crushed.

      The 77 are not transporting people to and fro, as they could be, oil-
      free, and that's the main thing. Crushed, dismantled... what's
      important is that drivers lined up for them, but GM decided to take
      them back and lie that drivers were not lined up for them.

      I wonder how Union members feel about this? I wonder how Union
      Executives feel about this? Has anyone been able to get the
      situation really across to them?

      Do they think... by hearing only one (dishonest) side of this from GM
      Management, that there are "not enough" potential drivers, and so
      building more of these would eventually lose money (and jobs)?