Re: [evworld] Digest Number 670 (air cars)

  • esbuck@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2005
      In a message dated 1/1/2005 4:55:32 A.M. Central Standard Time,
      evworld@yahoogroups.com writes:

      "I don't believe anyone has seen an air car go 10 km"

      _http://www.aircaraccess.com/history.htm_
      (http://www.aircaraccess.com/history.htm)

      Read and judge for yourselves. A century ago Chicago air-powered street
      cars could go to the end of the route and back again. Actually, the poor range
      and efficiency of air cars is the result of the fallacious view (from old
      text books) that air should be compressed isothermally, which wastes heat
      energy. Note attempts to reheat compressed air with atmospheric air and heat
      exchangers via multistage expanders. That's the foolish solution for a foolish
      problem. The Germans had it right in 1930; compress the air isentropically and
      then add heat at high temperature, in their case, from the waste heat of a
      diesel exhaust. The result was a locomotive that was significantly more
      efficient than the diesel-electric. See also US Patent Number 5,832,728.

    • murdoch_1998
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2005
        --- In evworld@yahoogroups.com, esbuck@a... wrote:

        > In a message dated 1/1/2005 4:55:32 A.M. Central Standard Time,
        > evworld@yahoogroups.com writes:
        >
        > "I don't believe anyone has seen an air car go 10 km"
        >

        > _http://www.aircaraccess.com/history.htm_
        > (http://www.aircaraccess.com/history.htm)
        >
        > Read and judge for yourselves. A century ago Chicago air-powered
        street
        > cars could go to the end of the route and back again. Actually,
        the poor range
        > and efficiency of air cars is the result of the fallacious view
        (from old
        > text books) that air should be compressed isothermally, which
        wastes heat
        > energy. Note attempts to reheat compressed air with atmospheric
        air and heat
        > exchangers via multistage expanders. That's the foolish solution
        for a foolish
        > problem. The Germans had it right in 1930; compress the air
        isentropically and
        > then add heat at high temperature, in their case, from the waste
        heat of a
        > diesel exhaust.

        I wasn't able to gather quickly from the ACPW PR information how they
        are heating their air. It would appear that they are not counting
        entirely on ambient atmospheric air, but also on some sort of stored
        heat.

        If a large number of vehicles were traveling down a street and using
        stored air pressure as a means of locomotion, it would appear that it
        should be thought out that they should be carrying enough heat-
        generating capacity not to overly imbalance the localized (walking by
        the side of the street) temperature conditions. Sure, such an
        imbalance might be welcome sometimes (bringing nothing more than a
        cool breeze on a hot day) but I wonder if it would be hard to control
        this.