Re: Term For "Mileage" in Non-English-Speaking Countries?

  • murdoch_1998
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
      Hi James:

      I agree that the reason you cite is probably the reason they add the
      9/10 of a cent. But I don't know of any other industry for whom the
      currency is inadequately divided up, to the point where they have to
      take fractions of cents. In the example you give, we are just
      talking about dividing up a dollar and taking a nickel less, to make
      the overall price look better.

      But in the gasoline-selling business, for some reason they think it's
      ok to go one bit further, and ask for an extra fraction of a penny,
      per gallon sold. There are probably some other businesses that do
      this, or try to, but I don't know what they might be. The net
      effect, in purchasing petroleum fuel, is that the transaction price,
      at the time of the purchase, to the consumer, is less transparent.

      --- In evworld@yahoogroups.com, James Wilson <jrem2@y...> wrote:
      > I think it would have to be like asking,$29.95,sounds
      > cheaper,if you don't think out of the box,than
      > $30.00,less 5cents. Car dealers are some of the
      > worse,at deception. like,only $299.00per month,with
      > approved credit,etc.When you read the fine print,it's
      > not a sale,its a lease,for anything up to 7yrs,with a
      > baloon payment at the end,that will probably be more
      > than the auto will be worth at that time. It's
      > endless. JW

      > --- murdoch_1998 <murdoch@h...> wrote:

      [...]
      > > The petroleum industry does not even give me a
      > > straight answer on
      > > price (asking for an extra "9/10" of a cent from
      > > every gallon
      > > purchased, anywhere... does any other industry do
      > > that?). I'm sure
      > > there's some legit-sounding reason on file for that
      > > policy, but I'm
      > > betting if I heard it, it would sound like more
      > > excuse-making from
      > > the same folks who don't want us to create a PHEV.
    • James Wilson
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
        Howdy Murdoch,
        My wife & I were in Arkansas one day about 12yrs ago,&
        I began laughing,to my wife's surprise. I had spotted
        a sign at a station that was 4/10,I found it quite
        amusing. I live in Oklahoma,about 35miles east of
        Tulsa. J.R.Wilson

        --- murdoch_1998 <murdoch@...> wrote:

        > Hi James:
        >
        > I agree that the reason you cite is probably the
        > reason they add the
        > 9/10 of a cent. But I don't know of any other
        > industry for whom the
        > currency is inadequately divided up, to the point
        > where they have to
        > take fractions of cents. In the example you give,
        > we are just
        > talking about dividing up a dollar and taking a
        > nickel less, to make
        > the overall price look better.
        >
        > But in the gasoline-selling business, for some
        > reason they think it's
        > ok to go one bit further, and ask for an extra
        > fraction of a penny,
        > per gallon sold. There are probably some other
        > businesses that do
        > this, or try to, but I don't know what they might
        > be. The net
        > effect, in purchasing petroleum fuel, is that the
        > transaction price,
        > at the time of the purchase, to the consumer, is
        > less transparent.
        >
        > --- In evworld@yahoogroups.com, James Wilson
        > <jrem2@y...> wrote:
        > > I think it would have to be like
        > asking,$29.95,sounds
        > > cheaper,if you don't think out of the box,than
        > > $30.00,less 5cents. Car dealers are some of the
        > > worse,at deception. like,only $299.00per
        > month,with
        > > approved credit,etc.When you read the fine
        > print,it's
        > > not a sale,its a lease,for anything up to
        > 7yrs,with a
        > > baloon payment at the end,that will probably be
        > more
        > > than the auto will be worth at that time. It's
        > > endless. JW
        >
        > > --- murdoch_1998 <murdoch@h...> wrote:
        > >
        > [...]
        > > > The petroleum industry does not even give me a
        > > > straight answer on
        > > > price (asking for an extra "9/10" of a cent from
        > > > every gallon
        > > > purchased, anywhere... does any other industry
        > do
        > > > that?). I'm sure
        > > > there's some legit-sounding reason on file for
        > that
        > > > policy, but I'm
        > > > betting if I heard it, it would sound like more
        > > > excuse-making from
        > > > the same folks who don't want us to create a
        > PHEV.

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Ron Leckrone
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
          Are we talking mileage, millage or mils? When I lived in Europe they use liters (or litres) per 100 kilometers, liters/100k. Pretty convienent actually. If I was going to drive 200 kilometers I would need 12 liters of gas since my car got about 6 liters per 100 kilometers or as they would say 6 per 100. That's about 39 miles per gallon. Of course a little extra never hurts.If I kept my speed to under a 100KPH, I could get 5 liters per hundred or 47 miles per gallon. Ron Leckrone....

          Ron Leckrone
          Ron@...
          http://www.approtek.com
          Jesus is the greatest liberal to have ever walk the earth.