Re: [evworld] Re: Global Warming Article

  • Robert Mills
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2004
      To:evworld@yahoogroups.comFrom:"murdoch_1998" <murdoch@...> View Contact Details Date:Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:36:14 -0000Subject:[evworld] Global Warming Article [input] [input] [input] [input] The author seemed to cover a wide range of "what's being done or not
      done", and I liked that. While Global Warming isn't the direct
      focus of this discussion group, it's not entirely off-topic either,
      particularly in light of the efforts to build H2 and other vehicles
      to lower Carbon emissions:

      http://www.climateark.org/articles/reader.asp?linkid=34108

      Global Warming: Consensus is growing among scientists, governments,
      and business
      that they must act fast to combat climate

      Source: Copyright 2004, Business Week
      Date: August 7, 2004
      Byline: John Carey

      The idea that the human species could alter something as huge and
      complex as the earth's climate was once the subject of an esoteric
      scientific debate. But now even attorneys general more used to
      battling corporate malfeasance are taking up the cause. On July 21,
      New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer and lawyers from seven other
      states sued the nation's largest utility companies, demanding that
      they reduce emissions of the gases thought to be warming the earth.
      Warns Spitzer: "Global warming threatens our health, our economy,
      our natural resources, and our children's future. It is clear we
      must act."

      The maneuvers of eight mostly Democratic AGs could be seen as a
      political attack. But their suit is only one tiny trumpet note in a
      growing bipartisan call to arms. "The facts are there," says Senator
      John McCain (R-Ariz.). "We have to educate our fellow citizens about
      climate change and the danger it poses to the world." In January,
      the European Union will impose mandatory caps on carbon dioxide and
      other gases that act like a greenhouse over the earth, and will
      begin a market-based system for buying and selling the right to emit
      carbon. By the end of the year, Russia may ratify the Kyoto
      Protocol, which makes CO2 reductions mandatory among the 124
      countries that have already accepted the accord. Some countries are
      leaping even further ahead. Britain has vowed to slash emissions by
      60% by 2050. Climate change is a greater threat to the world than
      terrorism, argues Sir David King, chief science adviser to Prime
      Minister Tony Blair: "Delaying action for a decade, or even just
      years, is not a serious option."

      [etc.]