Re: Global Warming Article

  • Forbes Bagatelle-Black
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2004
      I do not understand what you are trying to say.

      Forbes

      --- In evworld@yahoogroups.com, Robert Mills <rmills7759@y...> wrote:
      > Here we go again; "Give us an alternative and we will respond" !!
      >
      > Oh, none out there ?
      >
      > Bob
      >
      > omesmongo.com> wrote:
      > The author seemed to cover a wide range of "what's being done or not
      > done", and I liked that. While Global Warming isn't the direct
      > focus of this discussion group, it's not entirely off-topic either,
      > particularly in light of the efforts to build H2 and other vehicles
      > to lower Carbon emissions:
      >
      > Clip >

    • Robert Mills
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2004
        To:evworld@yahoogroups.comFrom:"murdoch_1998" <murdoch@...> View Contact Details Date:Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:36:14 -0000Subject:[evworld] Global Warming Article [input] [input] [input] [input] The author seemed to cover a wide range of "what's being done or not
        done", and I liked that. While Global Warming isn't the direct
        focus of this discussion group, it's not entirely off-topic either,
        particularly in light of the efforts to build H2 and other vehicles
        to lower Carbon emissions:

        http://www.climateark.org/articles/reader.asp?linkid=34108

        Global Warming: Consensus is growing among scientists, governments,
        and business
        that they must act fast to combat climate

        Source: Copyright 2004, Business Week
        Date: August 7, 2004
        Byline: John Carey

        The idea that the human species could alter something as huge and
        complex as the earth's climate was once the subject of an esoteric
        scientific debate. But now even attorneys general more used to
        battling corporate malfeasance are taking up the cause. On July 21,
        New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer and lawyers from seven other
        states sued the nation's largest utility companies, demanding that
        they reduce emissions of the gases thought to be warming the earth.
        Warns Spitzer: "Global warming threatens our health, our economy,
        our natural resources, and our children's future. It is clear we
        must act."

        The maneuvers of eight mostly Democratic AGs could be seen as a
        political attack. But their suit is only one tiny trumpet note in a
        growing bipartisan call to arms. "The facts are there," says Senator
        John McCain (R-Ariz.). "We have to educate our fellow citizens about
        climate change and the danger it poses to the world." In January,
        the European Union will impose mandatory caps on carbon dioxide and
        other gases that act like a greenhouse over the earth, and will
        begin a market-based system for buying and selling the right to emit
        carbon. By the end of the year, Russia may ratify the Kyoto
        Protocol, which makes CO2 reductions mandatory among the 124
        countries that have already accepted the accord. Some countries are
        leaping even further ahead. Britain has vowed to slash emissions by
        60% by 2050. Climate change is a greater threat to the world than
        terrorism, argues Sir David King, chief science adviser to Prime
        Minister Tony Blair: "Delaying action for a decade, or even just
        years, is not a serious option."

        [etc.]