News item - Tiny little news item

  • Randy Scott
    Message 1 of 8 , May 5, 2004
      I saw a very brief mention in the TV news about some Honda mechanics
      allegedly having been electrocuted while attempting to work on
      Insights. THis tiny little mention was so short as to make me wonder
      if it's really one of those PR-Firm propaganda bits being passed off
      as news.

      Anyone else seen anything on this?

      Randy
    • Randy Scott
      Message 2 of 8 , May 5, 2004
        --- In evworld@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Scott" <rscott77070@y...>
        wrote:> I saw a very brief mention in the TV news about some Honda
        mechanics > allegedly having been electrocuted while attempting to
        work on > Insights. THis tiny little mention was so short as to make
        me wonder > if it's really one of those PR-Firm propaganda bits being
        passed off > as news.> Anyone else seen anything on this?
        > > Randy

        I think I just answered my own question:

        * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
        http://news.yahoo.com/news?
        tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040504/ap_on_re_us/hybrid_car_rescues_5

        Rescue Workers Say Hybrid Cars a Danger
        Tue May 4, 2:23 PM ET Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

        By PATRICK WALTERS, Associated Press Writer

        PHILADELPHIA - The growing popularity of hybrid vehicles is a step
        toward cleaner air and less dependence on gasoline. But for rescuers
        at accident scenes, they represent a potential new danger: a network
        of high-voltage circuitry that may require some precise cutting to
        save a trapped victim.

        "You don't want to go crushing anything with hydraulic tools," said
        Samuel Caroluzzi, an assistant chief with the Norristown Fire
        Department outside Philadelphia. "It's enough to kill you from what
        they're telling us in training."

        Hybrids draw power from two sources, typically a gas or diesel engine
        combined with an electric motor. The battery powering the electric
        motor carries as much as 500 volts, more than 40 times the strength
        of a standard battery.

        http://www.washingtontimes.com/business/20040504-115720-1399r.htm
        Hybrid vehicles driveup rescue concerns
        By Lydia Pound
        THE WASHINGTON TIMES

        Rescue workers are being forced to handle a potential new danger:
        hybrid vehicles.
        Hybrids, increasingly popular because of their environmental
        benefits, are powered by a combination of a traditional gas engine
        and an electric motor. The electric motor's voltage is 500 and more
        than 40 times as intense as a regular car's battery.

        The engines work on a network of high-voltage circuitry that may
        require precise cutting to save a trapped victim.
        On Friday, rescuers in a Rockville Volunteer Fire Department
        station had to cut into a hybrid that had been in an accident.
        Hybrids have been incorporated into the unit's basic training.
        "You're talking about high voltage as opposed to low voltage, but
        it's fine for us," said a master firefighter and rescue instructor
        who was at the accident scene and did not want to be identified. "We
        just need to be aware of what we're looking at."

        http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/05/04/hybrid.rescues.ap/index.html
        Rescuers prep for hybrid car accidents
        Wednesday, May 5, 2004 Posted: 1433 GMT (2233 HKT)
        PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) --

        http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0405/05/autos-142130.htm
        Tuesday, May 4, 2004
        Rescue workers prepare for challenges of hybrid car accidents
        By Patrick Walters / Associated Press Writ

        Repeats AP story ad nauseum.................
      • timlamour@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 5, 2004
          If they are so worried about the dangers of electricity. Maybe it should be banned from all new housing construction. I mean, there is a huge danger of a house fires and a firemen cutting into a 200 Amp 240VAC circuits. Damn!!! We can't have that. ;-()
        • Ted Shelton
          Message 4 of 8 , May 5, 2004
            News people will repeat anything. If it can in
            anyway sell their product, they will use the
            information to get promotion. While I've not heard
            such a story, I predict their will be many such
            Storeys in the future. An attempt to scare the
            public away from electric vehicles is predictable.
            Feeding 1/2 truths and information out of context
            to a gullable news corps is nothing new. Holding
            them accountable for their sources and full context
            is the best way to get the true story presented.
            Ted
            Atchafalaya Basin
            Bute La Rose, La.
          • Forbes Bagatelle-Black
            Message 5 of 8 , May 5, 2004
              I am sending a post I put on one of the greens lstsrvs. It might be
              related to this topic. Maybe one of you might have some answers.

              <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

              So, I am sure most of you have noticed the rash of
              news articles and programs which have recently been
              appearing on TV, radio and in magazines which are
              basically saying "Those nut jobs who say the
              environment is in trouble are completely wrong." The
              report goes on reference some psuedo-scientist
              claiming that there is more forested land in the US
              than there was 100 years ago, or that since recycling
              can involve toxic substances it should be abandoned,
              etc. The claims are generally quite specific, but the
              erroneous conclusions drawn or implied are that the
              environment is getting better, not worse. There was
              an article in Time magazine last week and a segment on
              one of the TV quasi-news shows about a month ago.

              Since my wife loves nothing more than to tell me I am
              an idiot, she has been eagerly watching/listening
              to/reading these stories. She then mentions them to
              me with a look of triumph in her eyes and refuses to
              listen to me when I try to point out the flaws in the
              data or conclusions. Obviously, if someone in the
              media is saying there is nothing to worry about
              environmentally-speaking, I must (once again) be
              wrong. I imagine a similar dynamic is going on
              between environmentalists and their acquaintences
              across the country.

              My question is: Has anyone researched this recent
              rash of media coverage and determined who is putting
              up the huge $$ necessary to mount such a PR campaign?
              We could point roughly towards the Cheney/Bush
              administration and say "Must be them and their buddies
              in industry," but I wonder if anyone has identified
              one specific source of funding.

              Thanks in advance for any information.

              Forbes Bagatelle-Black
              Santa Clarita, CA

            • timlamour@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , May 5, 2004
                erroneous conclusions drawn or implied are that the
                environment is getting better, not worse. There was
                an article in Time magazine last week and a segment on
                one of the TV quasi-news shows about a month ago. <<<<

                Pick yourself up a copy of "Toxic Sludge Is Good For You". If you really want to know just where this information is coming from.
              • Jens Schacherl
                Message 7 of 8 , May 6, 2004
                  --- In evworld@yahoogroups.com, "Forbes Bagatelle-Black"
                  <diarmaede@y...> wrote:
                  > I am sending a post I put on one of the greens lstsrvs. It might
                  be
                  > related to this topic. Maybe one of you might have some answers.
                  >
                  > <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  >
                  > So, I am sure most of you have noticed the rash of
                  > news articles and programs which have recently been
                  > appearing on TV, radio and in magazines which are
                  > basically saying "Those nut jobs who say the
                  > environment is in trouble are completely wrong." The
                  > report goes on reference some psuedo-scientist
                  > claiming that there is more forested land in the US
                  > than there was 100 years ago, or that since recycling
                  > can involve toxic substances it should be abandoned,
                  > etc. The claims are generally quite specific, but the
                  > erroneous conclusions drawn or implied are that the
                  > environment is getting better, not worse. There was
                  > an article in Time magazine last week and a segment on
                  > one of the TV quasi-news shows about a month ago.
                  >
                  > Since my wife loves nothing more than to tell me I am
                  > an idiot, she has been eagerly watching/listening
                  > to/reading these stories. She then mentions them to
                  > me with a look of triumph in her eyes and refuses to
                  > listen to me when I try to point out the flaws in the
                  > data or conclusions. Obviously, if someone in the
                  > media is saying there is nothing to worry about
                  > environmentally-speaking, I must (once again) be
                  > wrong. I imagine a similar dynamic is going on
                  > between environmentalists and their acquaintences
                  > across the country.
                  >
                  > My question is: Has anyone researched this recent
                  > rash of media coverage and determined who is putting
                  > up the huge $$ necessary to mount such a PR campaign?
                  > We could point roughly towards the Cheney/Bush
                  > administration and say "Must be them and their buddies
                  > in industry," but I wonder if anyone has identified
                  > one specific source of funding.
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance for any information.
                  >
                  > Forbes Bagatelle-Black
                  > Santa Clarita, CA

                  This crap is probably courtesy of the danish statistics professor
                  Bjoern Lomborg, who has written a book called "The Skeptical
                  Environmentalist". This has become the bible of all anti-
                  environmentalists, as he claims to have found out, by purely
                  statistical methods, that even the worlds oceans are covered with
                  trees, and similar revolutionary things ;-)

                  Anyway, even if the flaws and false assumptions in his statistical
                  calculations have been pointed out by _real_ scientists long ago,
                  the mainstream media is hailing his theories over and over.

                  For a detailed Lomborg review, see
                  http://www.gristmagazine.com/books/lomborg121201.asp
                  http://www.anti-lomborg.com

                  Regards, Jens
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 6, 2004
                    >> My question is: Has anyone researched this recent
                    >> rash of media coverage and determined who is putting
                    >> up the huge $$ necessary to mount such a PR campaign?
                    >> We could point roughly towards the Cheney/Bush
                    >> administration and say "Must be them and their buddies
                    >> in industry," but I wonder if anyone has identified
                    >> one specific source of funding.
                    >>
                    >> Thanks in advance for any information.
                    >>
                    >> Forbes Bagatelle-Black
                    >> Santa Clarita, CA
                    >
                    >This crap is probably courtesy of the danish statistics professor
                    >Bjoern Lomborg, who has written a book called "The Skeptical
                    >Environmentalist". This has become the bible of all anti-
                    >environmentalists, as he claims to have found out, by purely
                    >statistical methods, that even the worlds oceans are covered with
                    >trees, and similar revolutionary things ;-)
                    >
                    >Anyway, even if the flaws and false assumptions in his statistical
                    >calculations have been pointed out by _real_ scientists long ago,
                    >the mainstream media is hailing his theories over and over.
                    >
                    >For a detailed Lomborg review, see
                    >http://www.gristmagazine.com/books/lomborg121201.asp
                    >http://www.anti-lomborg.com
                    >
                    >Regards, Jens

                    This happened a lot also with biofuel debate issues. One Cornell
                    professor, Pimentel, has been cited for decades as the one guy the
                    media gets the alleged non-renewability and non-viability of biofuels.
                    Recently I think some Berkeley guys have added their names to the mix,
                    so he is no longer alone in being quoted. Primarily they are talking
                    about ethanol (biodiesel gets hassled less as its energy numbers are
                    much easier to justify).

                    This is not to look down on skeptical inquiry into biofuels and other
                    matters, just to recognize that there seems some pattern here where,
                    if the skeptical inquiry may be a little thin, there may be that one
                    voice that is determined to attack, and has staked some of his or her
                    career on it, and so they become the never-ignored-by-the-media voice
                    for shouting down all inquiry into a field.

                    It is this "dismissal-out-of-hand".... particularly when done by one
                    lone "expert" leading the others, which I am against. That's why I
                    will err on the side of keeping an open mind to many of the alt-fuel
                    debates we have.... because I do not wish to be guilty of it myself.