Thanks for EV World + info on California Car Company Initiative

  • Felix Kramer
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1 7:33 PM
      I always anticipate the arrival of my Tuesday digest...Every week I
      get more inspiration, ideas, and confirmation that we're on the right
      track. Nowhere else do I find such a good assemblage of useful info.
      (Other sources people may want to check out include the daily EV
      Today at http://www.eintoday.com -- but it's not as wide-ranging, you
      have to subscribe separately to EV, fuel cells, etc., and it's not
      free.

      [CalCarCo introduction follows]:
      I'm the founder of a group in the Bay Area on a regional and state
      response to the lagging leadership to adopting efficient, non-
      polluting automotive technologies. Our goal is to create a virtual
      car company to market and then build (with auto industry and other
      partners) a vehicle integrating a range of new technologies,
      including composite materials, steer-by-wire controls and full
      networking, powered by plug-in hybrids, followed by fuel cells --
      aimed at early adopters and far-seeing institutions in the world's
      most receptive market for a "no sacrifices" high performance, zero-
      emission "California Car". Our starting point is RMI/Hypercar's work
      (we have good relations with the company and with Amory Lovins.)

      You may know about Eclipse Aviation, Vern Raburn's virtual turbofan
      plane company, http://www.eclipseaviation.com whose product is now
      entering FAA testing after pre-selling nearly 1000 planes for future
      delivery. (Their chairman is Harold Poling, retired Ford CEO.) We're
      inspired by several aspects of their business model. If successful
      CalCarCo can have an enormous impact, potentially transforming the
      auto, metal, and energy extraction and production industries.

      Our effort aims to begin getting much better cars on the road within
      five years, fully integrating and optimizing technologies that are
      becoming available (as existing car companies may not). This "jump-
      start" begins by pre-selling to fleet customers from state and local
      governments, corporations, plus Bay Area and Los Angeles
      environmentalists, car fans, people who want to do something about
      global warming and energy security -- and folks who want the right to
      drive the Bay Area's crowded highways alone in carpool lanes!

      The initial group of about 25 people who came together on July 30 in
      Palo Alto were a diverse and knowledgeable group of entrepreneurs,
      technologists, environmentalists and communicators with a high
      interest level and lots of good ideas. As a result of this meeting,
      we're putting together a set of working groups to expand the number
      of people involved and build the initiative. We've started
      discussions and contacts with people in Sacramento, car-sharing
      companies, environmentalists, and others -- but putting this together
      is still an very uphill effort.

      We're on the lookout especially for auto-industry insiders and for
      serial entrepreneurs with an ineluctable attraction to challenging
      environmental initiatives.

      More details at http://www.nlightning.com/calcarcosummary.pdf (a PDF
      document).
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1 8:53 PM
        >More details at http://www.nlightning.com/calcarcosummary.pdf (a PDF
        >document).

        Thanks for posting the info. I will be curious to see what electric utilities,
        if any, you are able to line up as fleet customers. If they do sign up with
        you, I will be curious to see if they are "punished" by the oil industry.

        I will be also curious to see where you will sell outside the state of
        California. I see no reason for 13% (or whatever it is) of the country's
        population to be the limit of the market for these types of cars.
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2 3:31 AM
          >More details at http://www.nlightning.com/calcarcosummary.pdf (a PDF
          >document).

          I see: it's about building in California for Californians, now that I've looked
          at the pdf.