(fwd) Fw: Message from Robert Redford

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2004
      So far as I know, this is from him....

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Robert Redford" <members@...>
      Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 1:23 PM
      Subject: Message from Robert Redford
      Dear NRDC Member,

      Over the next few weeks, President Bush and his congressional allies
      will try once again to ram their disastrous energy bill through the
      U.S. Senate. They fell only two votes short in November and they've
      vowed to make passage of the bill their top priority now that Congress
      has returned from recess.

      This bill may be the worst piece of legislation you and I will see in
      our lifetimes. It would pick your pocket, despoil your natural
      heritage, endanger your family's health and smother your hope for a
      more secure energy future. We ignore this bill at our own peril.

      Let me tell you our simple plan for thwarting this shameless attack on
      our environment and pocketbooks. If millions of Americans each took
      one minute to protest this bill, it would cause every senator who is
      tempted to vote for it to think twice about doing so.

      You can make this happen within the next few hours by doing two
      things:

      First, go to http://www.savebiogems.org/takeaction.asp?src=RR0401
      and send your two senators an email or fax, telling them to vote
      against this pro-polluter energy bill. Then, forward my email to at
      least four of your friends, family members or colleagues.

      I am emailing this message to 550,000 NRDC Members and activists. If
      each one forwards this message to just four more people, we will
      generate a national tidal wave of opposition before this day is over.

      And that won't be a moment too soon. This disgraceful bill would pick
      our pockets to hand out billions of dollars in taxpayer subsidies to
      the oil, coal and nuclear industries. That's their long-awaited reward
      for making big-time contributions to the Bush-Cheney campaign. They
      profit while the rest of us pay the price -- in tax dollars and
      environmental degradation.

      This bill gives the energy giants a free pass to drill their way
      through our last wild places, burn more dirty coal, build a new
      generation of risky nuclear power plants and dramatically increase air
      pollution that would sicken the vulnerable -- especially children and
      seniors -- for decades to come.

      It would establish oil and gas development as the dominant use of our
      federal public lands, open national parks to the construction of
      electricity transmission lines, exempt polluters from core provisions
      of our clean air and water laws and waive liability for the producers
      of the toxic gasoline additive MTBE -- even though it has contaminated
      at least 1,500 public water supplies in all 50 American states.

      You'd be hard-pressed to come up with a more backward-looking,
      wasteful and self-defeating energy "plan" than this one. At a time
      when the federal deficit is soaring and we're going to war in the
      Persian Gulf oilfields, the White House wants to stick us with the tab
      for prolonging our destructive dependence on fossil fuels, foreign oil
      and dangerous nuclear technology.

      This is not a national energy policy. This is corporate welfare, pure
      and simple. Estimates of the bill's corporate tax breaks range from
      $23 billion to well over $100 billion with loan guarantees included.
      No surprise there. Big energy companies cooked up this raid on the
      federal treasury during hundreds of secret meetings with Vice
      President Cheney's energy task force and their allies on Capitol Hill.

      It's one thing to gouge taxpayers. But to claim this rip-off is in the
      national interest, as the White House would have us believe, is a slap
      in the face to every working American.

      Poll after poll shows that the vast majority of voters -- of both
      parties -- understand that we simply must reduce our out-of-control
      appetite for fossil fuels if we ever are to secure energy
      independence. That means turning American rooftops into the Persian
      Gulf of solar energy. It means producing cars that get 40 miles per
      gallon. It means constructing efficient buildings that use
      half the energy of the average American office without sacrificing
      comfort.

      Making this transformation to a super-efficient, low-pollution economy
      would save consumers upwards of a trillion dollars, spare our last
      wild places from destruction, improve our health, slow global warming
      and reduce our dependence on undemocratic regimes overseas. It's a
      no-brainer to anyone living outside the White House.

      But unless millions of Americans speak out right now, the enactment of
      the president's energy bill will doom us to an apocalyptic future of
      blighted wilderness, poisonous air pollution, devastating climate
      change and endless wars over fossil fuels.

      Please make your voice heard. Go to
      http://www.savebiogems.org/takeaction.asp?src=RR0401
      and tell your senators to obey the will of the American people, *not*
      the dictates of giant energy corporations! Call on Congress to create
      a sustainable and affordable energy path.

      And please be sure to forward this message to at least four other
      people. Believe me, millions of Americans are just waiting for a
      simple way to stop this madness and lend their support to a sane and
      hopeful energy future.

      Sincerely yours,

      Robert Redford
      Board of Trustees
      Natural Resources Defense Council

      . . .

      Note: If you have any questions about this message, please write to us
      at membership@...