Re: [think_ev] What makes Clare Bell tick?

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2002
      >Go to www.EVworld.com, and click on the story "Clare Bell, E-Vet."
      >Happy reading!
      >
      >Elaine

      The direct link is:

      http://www.evworld.com/databases/storybuilder.cfm?storyid=437

      And the printable, which has small font bad for the eyes, but helps
      avoid the "continue" button is:

      http://www.evworld.com/databases/printit.cfm?storyid=437

      I thought you did a terrific job. It is not so easy to distill
      something down so much, yet have so much meat to it.

      I had several thoughts in response to this article.

      First, the last few paragraphs:

      >If Ford follows through on its plan to abandon Th!nk City production (despite demonstrated demand) in favor of suing the California Air Resources Board, she'd love to teach Ford a little lesson about survival.
      >
      >"There's nothing on that car that you can't buy from a vendor, except the body. The electrical components are from Siemens or Actia of France, the batteries are from SAFTÂ… There are a few custom-made hoses, but nothing fancy. With a little funding, there's nothing to stop us from putting the Th!nk brains in a Geo Metro body and making a great little car."
      >
      >She seems the perfect person to pull this off, combining years of hobbyist experience with time at two major manufacturers. "You can't just take some guy out of school and say, 'Okay, build me an electric car.' To build a good electric car, you need to have lived with a bad one. The auto industry has been slow to take advantage of the years of experience of enthusiasts. But it's not over yet, not by a long shot."

      From this we can see not only that Claire would be a good candidate to
      be near the top of any *genuine* effort to bring EV's to the public,
      but also we learn a bit about what it really takes. I also liked the
      interesting comment about needing *both* mechanical and electrical
      engineers.

      I also got a more rounded sense of the *electrical* hazards and
      dangers of poorly designed EV's. This has come up with the recent
      recall of the Iacoca bike, and a few other EV's over the years,
      including the BAT efforts (never mind the investor nonsense, just
      looking at the Engineering, one engineer told me they really didn't
      know enough about what they were doing). I have not heard of further
      GEM fires, aside from the one covered by the NY Post, but if there are
      more or in other EV's, they will doubtless be covered. Since I was
      involved in helping to cover the GEM story, Bell's further comments on
      the importance of good electrical design are in instructive to me.

      Another thought is that when one does have a well-designed EV, or a
      half-well-designed one, that makes it all that much more of a pity to
      throw it away (such as GM is doing), since we can sense that it is not
      at all a no-brainer to design a good one.

      I look forward to more articles and-or discussion of this one.

      MM