Re: [evworld] Re: Solar Comes to (Part Of) The Earth

  • James Wilson
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 31, 2003
      The power companys here in Oklahoma fix it when it
      breaks. Then if it isn't broke,some fix it till it is.

      > As far as the power company goes, they are very
      > conservative and
      > won't do anything unless they have to. That is why
      > we need
      > legislation for energy and environmental solutions.
      > We can't count
      > on corporations to solve environmental problems
      > through "market based
      > solutions" as the Bush Administration has proposed.

      http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
    • James Wilson
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 6, 2004
        First off,I guess I should say I am a 62year old
        retired Machinist,with my own complete machine shop.
        I started with a 1990 Suzuki Swift with a rod nocking.
        I checked out the web,everywhere I could find a link
        and followed them,3 to 4hrs a day for probably a year
        before I got the car. I first put a 24volt 2 1/2hp
        motor in it with 36volts of used Golf cart batterys.
        It ran amazingly well, the 3miles round trip to town
        and back. I then installed an Old 400amp/30volt
        Surplus Starter/Generator, on 36volt at first then
        bought new 16 new 6volt Golf cart batterys at Sams
        Club. They are made by Exide. I ran the configured in
        2 48volt packs in parallel. I had problems with the
        controller over heating and cuting back to 50amps &
        letting me creep home. I changed it to 96volts and the
        overheating problem was gone. I drove it that way for
        a couple months & it was quite satisfactory,and had a
        50mile max. range with 2 adults,in 80degree weather. I
        ten went to the EV-Trading Post, and found a fellow
        who was selling a 9" Advanced DC motor,controller,and
        all,and installed the 9" in it. It has at least twice
        the torque on the lower end than the Old S/G, but the
        old S/G loved to rev but had a flat spot at the bottom
        for the first 30ft or so then pulled good thru 60mph
        which was reving its head off. The old S/G's are
        really tough. It has a 2500 to 8000rpm range stamped
        on the motor. I have free reved it on the bench to
        10,000 rpm using a hand held tachometer,with no
        problem at all. I ran it one day,(just before I pulled
        it out and put the 9" in) with two relays. One setup
        for 12volts and the other for 48volt,operated with a
        double pole double throw switch. I Started in first
        with 12volts,which would take me up to about
        12mph,then shift to second,hit 12volts again up to
        about 15mph,then hit it with 48volts unlimited AMPS,it
        was a blast. I cut it off at 65mph & it was still
        pulling pretty hard. I didnt want to blow it up,but it
        was a blast anyway. I have 2batterys where the
        radiator used to be,2batterys on the fire
        wall/passerger side,& 12 where the back seat used to
        be. It has about the same mileage per charge with the
        9" as it did with the Old S/G, just a lot more low
        end,which is more important,it can save your life
        leaving a stoplite, or crossing at an intersection.
        Here are a few links.

        http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/geobook.html

        http://www.ev-america.com/ one of he most
        helpful,frendly folks I have talked to.

        This one will keep you busy for days if not weeks.
        http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/4214/links.html
        Hope this is helpful, Enjoy. James Wilson in Oklahoma