Re: Nickle Zink Batterys

  • ntsl532
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
      You can go to http://www.everspring.net and look under "products and
      pricing" and you can seee them. They have single battery modules up
      to 600 Ah at 3.6 volts. I plan to use some of them for my electric
      scooter, electric lawn mower, and electric boat applications, but I
      have not yet tested the batteries. I think it would be prudent to do
      a test on a module before a larger quantity purchase is considered.
      If the specifications provided are accurate then the batteries offer
      superior operating characteristics over Li-ion batteries and are
      about half the cost. I contacted Tom Gage at AC Propulsion and asked
      him to consider these batteries for just this reason. Currently they
      are using Li-ion and they have around 7000 batteries in a 50 kwh
      pack. They also have smaller battery modules that contain power
      management electronics to prevent fire and explosion from high
      charge/discharge situations, the batteries suffer reduced performance
      in colder weather, and they cost about twice what the these lithium
      polymer batteries cost. So anyway, a 50 kwh pack can be made from 23
      batteries instead of 7000 Li-ion, no power electronics are needed
      because the solid electrolyte is not sensitive in high
      charge/discharge situations, little of no reduced output in colder
      weather due to colloid design, and finally the price is half of Li-
      ion as I mentioned above. Everspring markets the batteries and a
      company called Thunder Sky makes them in China. The company is owned
      by the Chinese government. I have no affiliation with this company,
      just found it through research. So anyway, if these batteries really
      perform as stated they are superior to li-ion. I plan to test them
      soon as soon as the holidays have passed.

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
        I want a 144volt battery pack of 12volt
        batteries.
        70 to 100amp hrs. Thanks, James Wilson

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
          You will need 40 of the 3.6 V, 100 Ah modules and put them in series
          to achieve 144 V and 100 Ah pack. The cost will be $145 per battery
          and since you need 40 your cost will be $5800 plus whatever shipping
          charge they require F.O.B. Hong Kong. The pack should weigh a little
          over 200 pounds.

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
            If it would last 15years I would do it! James

          • ecar96kw@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
              No one has asked what is the drive system, DC or AC. These batteries are for
              higher voltage AC drives. You would of course then need more than forty of
              these Super Duper, so called cheap and special batteries. So duh...........Oh,
              and Nickel Zinc isn't any better from what I have read. The chargers and the
              Home charging capacity are a small fortune also. I have lost interest in them
              already.

              Look for Lion batteries. Victor has some additional info about these
              batteries.
              <A HREF="http://www.metricmind.com/"> http://www.metricmind.com/</A>

              When you go here, click Lithium Battery, the top choice is... Thunder Sky
              Dynamic------cost chart. Read and weep, they wont work for us low voltage,
              higher amperage DC drivers.

              <A HREF="http://www.thunder-sky.com/index.htm">http://www.thunder-sky.com/index.htm</A>

              Steven
              Milwaukee, WI.
              144 volt DC and cheap/heavy Lead acid since 1990. I drive ALL four seasons.

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
                I don't think the voltage drop is much different than any other type
                of battery during high discharge situations. Tom Gage uses a Li-ion
                battery with operating characteristics that are below that of Thunder
                Sky from what I have read. The car does 0-60 in 4 seconds. He does
                use and inverter to generate 370 volts. The Thunder Sky batteries
                are used for Citroen EVs and other CHinese EVs getting 300 mile
                range. The specification chart indicates a 100 Ah battery can put
                out 300 Ah on demand. That is at least as good as or better than my
                lead acid batteries. Maybe Ni-MH has the edge is very high short
                burst outputs, but the Li-ion and Li-polymer have higher specific
                energy and energy density values than Ni-MH batteries do. I have
                posted the link you refer to below. One thing of interest is that at
                60% DOD the battery will achieve 1100 cycles. I don't know the
                actual life in years, but most of these type of batteries are rated
                at 10 years. Someone ready to purchase them should consult with the
                sales rep. for precise information fotr the particular product they
                wish to purchase.

                http://www.metricmind.com/index1.htm

                One other question:

                Are you stating or implying that lead/acid has a better discharge
                capacity than the Li-polymer? I find this hard to believe. Have you
                used Li-polymer or LI-ion?

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2, 2003
                  I would suggest you e-mail Everspring and ask this question. I'm
                  guessing they will tell you it depends on your usage patterns.
                  Charge/discharge rates, environment, Depth of discharge, are all
                  importnat factors. But I have heard these type of batteries
                  typically last 10 years, but do ask before buying. I think they have
                  a 1-2 year warranty.