Re: [future-fuels-and-vehicles] Is it harder than advertised to rent PHEVs around the US and the world?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2013
      Thanks for your points.

      I think the relationships may still be there to some extent. There
      was a time when some Detroit automakers simply owned some rental
      assets, but I'm not sure that's the relationship any more. In any
      event, if I spend time looking at the major auto rental companies,
      they seem, across all of them, to offer a decent selection across most
      or all of the major auto names I expect, including some European
      luxury rentals here and there.

      Your initial Portland experience is in-line with my consternation and
      initial experience in trying to rent in Tucson, Providence, and one or
      two other Northeastern locations. I have found some hybrids here or
      there, but the idea of trying to rent a PHEV was a joke and also a
      considerable use of my time to get on the phone and persist and try to
      track down the issue. The main players here are just not acting like
      they care to do business in PHEV rental in most areas.

      I did receive private feedback from one person that the turnaround
      time issue is real - going, say, by experiences of past rental
      places.... but I think this would not preclude some PHEVs such as the
      Toyota PPI... which have shorter recharge times... from being rented
      out if some rental agencies are supposedly standing on that particular
      issue.

      [Default] On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 12:58:07 -0700, MarketMole