EV w/detachable ICE generator

  • MarketMole
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19, 2012
      Per:

      http://www.technologyreview.com/printer_friendly_article.aspx?id=40205

      Would it be possible to build an ICE generator such that when you went
      on long trips with an EV, you could "attach" this generator to your
      roof, or store it in the trunk, or a dedicated spot under the hood, so
      that you could use liquid fuel to augment your car's distance
      capability?

      Like take a Honda generator with you and plug your car into it while you drive.

      Could such a generator be built that supplies enough energy, for a
      long enough duration to make the detachable generator viable and cost
      effective?

      I can see buying a pure EV and then renting one of these distance
      extender generators to take on a trip.

      Thoughts?

      MM
    • Oliver Perry
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 19, 2012
        The range extender concept has been around for many years. The president of the EEVC back in the 80ties attempted building one using a VW ICE and several aircraft generators. He abandoned the project before it was ever used. Since he passed away years ago none of us know why he abandoned the project, other than he was having technical difficulties matching the output of the generator to the car.

        I believe the most workable concept is that of having rentable generator trailers that you can rent and hook up like a U-haul trailer. I do not know what the legalities are for crusing down the road with a trailer operating an ICE generator while moving. Large tractor trailers have generator sets that can be kept operating while parked, but I have heard there exist legalities regarding when they can and cannot be operated.

        If one is going to push headwinds and climb steep grades while traveling at full speed going across the country, and do so for hours at a time, then the output of the generator has to be sized great enough. In other words one needs a pretty good sized generator to do it, and a bigger horsepower ICE to drive the generator. I think that the size needed to perform well, and the cost to build it, outweighs the willingness to spend that kind of money for an item that sits in a garage unused most of its life. That is why having a rental agency like U-haul to make these available makes more sense. But, I have not read of anyone suggesting investing in such a venture.

        O.H.Perry
        EEVC

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2012
          Sorry for the delayed response.

          One famous and apparently (as far as we are told) technologically
          successful implementation of this:

          http://www.evnut.com/rav_longranger.htm

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Propulsion_tzero
          >AC Propulsion also produced a portable internal combustion powered generator mounted on a trailer known as the Long Ranger that could be towed behind the car and feed power to the batteries during travel. The trailer used a 500 cc Kawasaki engine with a 9.5 U.S. gallon (40 liter) fuel tank and achieved 30 to 35 mpg over at least 20,000 highway miles. It is rated at 20 kW DC output and can maintain 60 to 80 mph. Video footage of the backtracking feature, which allows drivers to easily back a trailer through a set of slalom cones.

          [Default] On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 07:27:28 -0700, MarketMole