EPA rates Fisker Karma at only 20 mpg in range-extender mode

  • k9zeh
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2011
      OK, so PHEV is not the perfect answer as much as the BEV is, but even in the "extended range mode," where the ICE has to take over the electrical power supply process from the batteries, this kind of car is still for local travel only, for now.

      http://autos.yahoo.com/news/epa-rates-fisker-karma-at-only-20-mpg-in-range-extender-mode.html
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2011
        The initial Fisker model is nice, but is out of reach of most American
        buyers, including myself, and consistent with many of the other
        vehicles in its price class (including some of the Lexus SUV hybrids
        from a year or two ago I was told), it sacrifices efficiency for
        power.

        Over the next quarter or two I think we are about to get some choices
        as to (somewhat) more affordable models:

        Toyota Prius PHEV starting at $32k
        CODA
        Ford Focus EV
        Mitsubishi iMiEV (North American version)

        etc.

        At that point, we'll see, but as long as fuel is so inexpensive in the
        US (i.e.: as long as Congress refuses to allow a price to be put on
        Carbon, or even a War Tax enacted to allow for the principle that
        Americans cannot continue to ship money overseas that comes back to
        them as bombs and bullets)... as long as fuel is so inexpensive in the
        US, then I think EV sales in the US will continue to struggle a bit
        compared to US advocacy goals and compared to other countries.

        [Default] On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 04:15:49 -0000, "k9zeh"