Fancy Batteries in Electric Cars Pose Recycling Challenges

  • k9zeh
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2011
      This is similar to a post I did earlier, but the first post featured uses for battery packs that no longer contained enough energy storage capacity for vehicle use. This article finally shows how batteries at their end of life can be recycled into their elemental ingedients and remanufactured. The good news is that GM and Tesla and some European companies have already arranged with companies to recycle thier batteries.

      One more good news item is that lithium is a much less exotic and more plentiful material than those used in previous battery chemistries like cadmium, nickel, and so on. For the time being, most lithium is mined in Chile.

      http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/31/business/energy-environment/fancy-batteries-in-electric-cars-pose-recycling-challenges.html?src=recg