i-MiEV Test Drive in US?

  • iamchemist
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8, 2011
      Recent files posted to this List only discuss test driving an i-MiEV in Australia. Anyone know when and where one might be able to test drive one in the US?
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 12, 2011
        I have run into at least one person in North America who has
        test-driven one in a fleet, but I have lost track of if-when the
        momentum would build toward consumers actually being allowed to test,
        consider, sign-up, buy and take delivery.

        The i-Miev is potentially quite an important vehicle in the scheme of
        things if only because it is not some elitist non-plus-ultra
        speed-mobile. I drove one overseas (briefly) and have compared notes
        with the person in North America and I think I'd say it seems to be a
        a practical and decent car, with the advantages (as best I could tell
        quickly) of an EV (quietness, etc.). Certainly I wouldn't consider
        buying at that super-high list price outside of the fact that it's an
        EV, but I would consider buying it, over time, if they get the price
        in-line.

        I think some modifications have been necessary for North America, and
        also we should consider that some of the Japanese companies may have
        been harmed in their EV delivery schedules by the tragic tsunami and
        aftermath.

        This page is helpful for keeping some tabs on announcements from Japan
        on the vehicle:

        http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/publish/pressrelease_en/index.html

        [Default] On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 19:27:56 -0000, "iamchemist"
        <rcochran@...> wrote:

        >Recent files posted to this List only discuss test driving an i-MiEV in Australia. Anyone know when and where one might be able to test drive one in the US?

      • Forbes Black
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 12, 2011
          I drove one a fair amount for a few days.  It was quite cramped for my 6'6" body, and I could drain the battery in ~25 miles doing jack rabbit starts and generally trying to waste as much energy as possible.

          But, that said, it was a very nice little car.  Smooth and comfortable for a normal-sized person.  It was also quite zippy and fun to drive.  I never tried to see how far I could go on a charge, but I bet it would have been quite a long way if I had been very careful about how much juice I was using.

          Cheers,

          Forbes

          <rcochran@...> wrote:

          >Recent files posted to this List only discuss test driving an i-MiEV in Australia. Anyone know when and where one might be able to test drive one in the US?

        • William Kozachek
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 12, 2011
            There two electric vehicles available at the NYC auto show, the Nissan Leaf and the I Miev.   The vehicles were being driven around an indoor track and the public was invited to take a ride.  (The volt was also there but had to drain its gas tank to participate.)  At other shows there may have been out door tracks and the general public could go for a test drive at the show.

            Hertz was also there to make sure people were aware that these two and the electric Smart 4-2 car could be rented in some locations, (including NYC.)   The I Miev is the pre release vehicle before it was made longer and heavier for the US market.

            ________________________________

            <rcochran@...> wrote:

            >Recent files posted to this List only discuss test driving an i-MiEV in Australia. Anyone know when and where one might be able to test drive one in the US?

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)