Re: [future-fuels-and-vehicles] E.P.A. Struggles Over Fuel Ratings for Plug-In Cars, Electric Vehicle Chargers

  • Yodda Pierce
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 16, 2010
      Hi Ernie,

      Thanks for the information.  It is very enlightening.  I have only just had a chance to scan i,t but looks great.  How were the brake efficiency numbers recorded?  Dynamometer?  Just curious.  Also, would such engines produce the same efficiencies if they were in vehicles driven daily?

      Yodda

      From: Arcologic@... <Arcologic@...>
      To: future-fuels-and-vehicles@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, October 15, 2010, 2:27 PM

      Yes, Oliver,

      All correct.

      I think we need to be cautious about assuming there are only two (or three, or four) kinds of heat engines. Engine technology is advancing rapidly these days. Currently, electricity from fuel is done by gas turbines (35% efficient?), steam turbines (35%?), both together = combined cycle (55% tops), and large diesels (40% to 55%). In the future, we should have new kinds of engines that can reach about 60%. Add to that things like the "Bloom Box" that converts natural gas to electricity in a fuel cell, maybe at 40% to 50%.

      I predict we will have 60% efficient engines for cars within 20 years.

      Ernie Rogers

      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 16, 2010
        Hi Ernie,

        Thanks for the number crunching.  Seems Like a deja vu situation from a few years back.  But let's take a look at what you have.  The EV plug to shaft efficiency numbers appear to be suspect.  Allow me to explain.  A good 3 phase AC sychonous motor is 98% efficient.  Cars like the EV-1 and other mass produced electric cars would use such motors.  Meanwhile the 92% electric motor efficiency figure you offered would apply to a decent DC motor perhaps used by an EV enthusiasts in his own retrofit EV.  I'm not sure what you mean by battery cycle efficiency.  Do you mean charger loss or round trip charge to motor loss?  I would use .9 for a good charginging system, not .8 if so.  The conditioning numbers are also a mystery to me.

        So I come up with .98 X  .9  = .88 (not .7)
        .
        Also, where do you get 3.56 miles/kWh for the Prius?  Most good EVs typically get 200 Wh per mile fuel economy which is like 5 miles/kWh.  The EV-1 I think got 125 Wh/mile.  So those numbers appear suspect too.

        As far as the 14.1 kWh figure you derive, in my opinion all it represents is the electrical energy the the car would need to travel 50.15 miles.  The correct figure in my mind is the actual identical energy from a gallon of gasoline converted to electrical energy and that figure is 34 kWh.  So then the the fuel economy would be 121.1 miles/34 kWh .  You could say 14.1kWh from generated electrical energy from gasoline onboard motor perhaps if the efficiency from the motor generated electricity is around 50%.   But I think your number of 29% efficiency for a gasolne engine is also suspect.  I am including a link which basically addresses the very subject we are discussing, and in the writeup it is shows that EVs are are at least twice as efficient on same source fuel.  In fact the 39% powerplant efficiency he uses is actually conservative as newer dual cycle turbines have improved power plant turbine efficiciency to as high as 60-65% !

        So I would say to you that perhaps the numbers look good for ICE and diesels because you yourself are an enthusiast and champion of diesels, but when a more objective look is taken we can see that EVs are at least 2 times more efficient than diesels or other ICEs.

        Here is the link to Chip Gribben-  Debunking of EVs and Smokestacks:

        http://www.evdl.org/docs/powerplant.pdf

        Yodda

        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 17, 2010
          Working on Yodda's questions--

          For a car-size engine, up to a small marine engine, using a lab dynamometer is good. The dynamometer is just an electric generator with readouts for rpm and torque, or AC power sometimes. For a really big engine, I think they measure rpm and torque in actual service.

          After an engine warms up, its efficiency is a fairly reliable function no matter how it is used. The efficiency function varies with speed and torque. Every engine manufacturer has an "engine map" for each of its engines. This looks like a contour plot, showing lines of equal efficiency in a graph of torque versus rpm. Torque can be given in different units, and the graphs may take different forms. The rated efficiency of an engine is the "peak" on the map, actually the minimum bsfc, brake specifc fuel consumption typically given these days in metric units like gms per kilowatt-hour. You can find a good engine map by googling "engine efficiency map" The map by Georgi is very good.

          For a car, it is almost impossible to operate the engine at peak efficiency. Peak efficiency is usually found at the same rpm as the peak torque, and just a little bit lower torque value than the maximum. When you are driving, you like to be able to step on the gas and have the car accelerate. This doesn't happen near peak torque or efficiency, the engine just lugs, torque drops as you add more fuel. So the practical matter is engines are operated well below their peak torque, and much lower efficiency.

          Want to get a lot better mileage on the highway? Change your gear sets so the engine turns much slower and at higher torque at highway cruise. You will need to shift down before accelerating Or, you can try putting on tires with larger diameter. I changed the tires on my Beetle from 205/55 R16 to 205/60 R16. Tire efficiency improved slightly (higher sidewall, the /60 number), and it lowered the rpm at bit. I probably picked up 3 to 5% efficiency gain.

          As I mentioned, my engine rated at 43% efficiency is delivering about 33% on the highway, based on measured mpg.

          Typical highway mileage is about 60 mpg for my car, at 60 to 65 mph. BUT if I lower the speed, still staying in fifth gear, to about 50 mph, the engine gets closer to the peak efficiency and mileage goes up to about 75 mpg. The improved mileage is from a combination of higher engine efficiency (just a little bit) and much lower aerodynamic drag (the bigger part).

          Now, about daily driving-- the brake is where you pick up extra mileage. If you anticipate and coast into stops, your mileage should improve a lot. And run in the highest gear you can manage. I sometimes get over 60 mpg around town in this way.

          Ernie Rogers

        • Arcologic@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 17, 2010
            Hello, Yodda,

            Ahh, you have a good memory, all of these points have been discussed before. Let's talk about that 0.7 efficiency I used for the EV. Here is what I said, with comments added---

            The EV plug to shaft efficiency includes four steps--

            1. Battery cycle efficiency..............0.80
            This is the fraction of input energy returned by the battery. This can vary from 0.6 to 0.9 depending
            on the rate of draw. Whenever the driver "steps on the gas" the battery efficiency will drop.
            I thought 0.8 would be a fair number for average driving. Careful drivers I'm sure can do better.
            2. Power conditioning in.................0.97
            This is the battery charger efficiency.
            3. Power conditioning out...............0.97
            This is the inverter and motor controller, converting DC to drive AC
            4. Electric motor efficiency.............0.92
            I think this is a fair value for motor efficiency. We have to remember that like the gasoline
            engine, the electric motor is not operating at its best efficiency point. And I have lumped
            accessory loads in this number too.

            0.80 x 0.97 x 0.97 x 0.92 = 0.69, Close enough to 0.70
            And this is how the above numbers multiply to give the overall system efficiency, not
            including mechanical losses.

            You know, I think, that I know comparatively little about EV technology. To validate things, I just found performance numbers for the Tesla Roadster at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Roadster We can use this for comparison to see how well my guesses compare.

            Energy input per mile..............................3.53 miles /kWh (0.283 Wh /mile)
            Energy use from battery to wheels...........0.217 Wh /mile

            Remember that I calculated 3.56 miles /kWh for the Prius, using my assumptions. If we divide these Tesla numbers, we get the combined efficiency of #s 1 and 2 above for the Tesla. Let's assume the battery charger efficiency (#2) is 0.97. Then we can calculate the battery cycle efficiency--

            (Battery eff) x ( 0.97) = ( 0.217) / ( 0.283)

            Battery eff = 0.97

            Which is essentially what I had guessed.

            So far, I haven't checked the motor efficiency. Based on the 3.53 miles /kWh for this very small car, the motor efficiency is just a bit lower than my last estimate. I can calculate the actual efficiency of the motor (with all other accessory loads included by the way) using the spreadsheet, if anybody really cares to see the number.

            Ernie Rogers

            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 18, 2010
              Oh, my, I made a stupid typo in this calculation and nobody called me on it. Here it is--

              (Battery eff) x ( 0.97) = ( 0.217) / ( 0.283)

              Battery eff = 0.97

              Which is essentially what I had guessed.

              The calculated battery efficiency for the Tesla should have been Battery eff = 0.79, which is essentially the same as my guess of 0.80 for the Prius EV example. (Little dyslexia there.)

              Ernie Rogers