was....CLUB LOOKING FOR SPONSORS

  • tallex2002
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2009
      Several months ago on another list we were having a similar discussion on "wind power assisted vehicles". On first glance the trailer toting a windmill sounds pretty silly and someone had suggested this same idea in that group.
      My approach was this. There is a company that makes durable plastic mini turbines each putting out an approx 50 watts each@22mph wind speeds. They mount several on a single pole. My idea was to get a whole bunch of these mini turbines and mount them in a sort of under carriage cowling.
      Think of a jet engine air intake, molded with a fiberglass contoured aerodynamic shape and you would have free air flow through the bottom front of the vehicle, through the turbines and out the back end. If you mounted a set of primary mini turbines and then a secondary set,
      offset behind them and so on, this could certainly add up to some decent charging energy. In that space, you could mount 2-3 sets of 8 mini turbines and probably more. Dimensions for each prop are 6 inches each, 24x50 watts - minus 30 percent for efficiency losses you are still looking at some reasonable generation.
      Add another 2-3 sets and you could be looking at over 700 watts@22mph or more from an undercarriage unit.
      You might even do the same sort of thing on the roof as well, keeping aerodynamics in mind as well of course.

      If designed properly, theoretically there could actually be LESS drag and maybe even some LIFT action from the spinning props, thus perhaps reducing drag even further.
      You would need to raise the body but think of all the mini props you could mount in a 4ftx6-8ftx1.5ft? space and a perhaps shorter additional unit on top. Wind tunnel testing anyone?
      I know it still sounds crazy (just not as crazy as the trailer idea!)and I haven't crunched any numbers on this yet but it all started on thinking about how far fetched the original idea was and trying to come up with some actual practicality to it all. Any thoughts?

      <tallex>

      --- In future-fuels-and-vehicles@yahoogroups.com, Arcologic@... wrote:

      > - A wind-turbine, on a trailer, charging an electric bike or electric
      > scooter as it moves

      > Ernie Rogers

      Updated alternative energy+green tech videos
      http://www.alternate-energy.net/vidpicks08.html
    • Arcologic@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2009
        Yes, Tallex,

        I do have some thoughts.

        First of all, it's very important to keep in mind conservation of energy.
        Always ask yourself, where is the energy coming from? If the car is the
        source of the "wind" then the car is the source of the energy. I think it
        was in the 1960s that Peter Lissaman published a paper on using wind power
        to augment a car. We are already familiar with vehicles using wind power.
        An ice boat is an outstanding example, and also the desert version with
        wheels. Turbines of various types have been mounted on sea vessels, but sails
        remain the most popular.

        The blades on a wind turbine are in fact sails. A properly shaped airfoil
        placed on a vehicle can give some beneficial thrust. You might just call
        them "fins." To give some serious benefit, they should be fairly large. I
        was headed that direction a few years back but I was persuaded by family
        members to stay with small fins at first for aesthetic reasons. You can see
        the result here: _www.max-mpg.com_ (http://www.max-mpg.com/)

        Ernie Rogers