General mpgge comments

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2009
      I have in the past advocated for use of MJL, since it is the SI unit
      of energy. However, the idea for using Calories sounds worth
      considering, to me. Was it Dave Cline who suggested this?

      I sort of think that the reality is correct that the US will have a
      hard time switching to metric, and it may be that when we cite
      distance we are perhaps better off for now staying with miles.

      Personally, I see no great reason to cite energy/distance rather than
      distance/energy, but ok, it's something to consider.

      Ironically, the freeway by where I live is measured in km, not miles.
      It was part of a program years ago. I am near Mexico and there are a
      lot of trucks coming in and continuing North. Recently when we went
      to shift back to miles, this seemed logical except it would cost
      people a lot of money. Retailers along the interstate, for example,
      have made clear what number exit they are on, in their marketing, and
      now there would be confusion and expense, in the phone books, and
      so-on.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_19
      http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-019.html

      Neither of the above links contains information as to the holdup in
      switching back to miles. I think it is very recent that it was
      discovered that switching back to miles was going to be expensive
      enough for some parties such that some discussion and doubt was
      warranted.

      I have some things to work out in my mind as to the extent to which I
      will discuss certain matters here. I am reluctant to provide research
      here which I now do for-pay, as part of my job, but I did review
      directly with Ernie some basics today as to what I think happened with
      the Volt and other mpgge calculations.

      Can anyone say what the EPA claims is the mileage for the Tesla? That
      car is for sale and I would think there is a published official number
      somewhere. I can't find it at fueleconomy.gov.