(fwd) Air-Powered Car Coming to U.S. in 2009 to 2010 at Sub-$18,000, Could Hit 1000-Mi

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2009

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2009
        Sorry, it looks like this "news" is from 2008. I missed that this
        time.

        [Default] On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 18:12:05 -0400, murdoch
        <murdoch@...> wrote:

        >>Air-Powered Car Coming to U.S. in 2009 to 2010 at Sub-$18,000, Could Hit 1000-Mile Range
        >>
        >>http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4251491.html
        >>
        >>We’ll believe that when we drive it, but MDI’s new dual-energy
        >>engine—currently being installed in models at MDI facilities
        >>overseas—is still pretty damn cool in concept. After using
        >>compressed air fed from the same Airbus-built tanks in earlier
        >>models to run its pistons, the next-gen Air Car has a
        >>supplemental energy source to kick in north of 35 mph, ZPM says.
        >>A custom heating chamber heats the air in a process officials
        >>refused to elaborate upon, though they insisted it would increase
        >>volume and thus the car’s range and speed.

      • csceadraham
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2009
          murdoch <murdoch@...> wrote:

          > >Air-Powered Car Coming to U.S. in 2009 to 2010 at Sub-$18,000,
          > > Could Hit 1000-Mile Range

          The claims seem to be getting crazier.

          > >http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4251491.html
          > >
          > >We'll believe that when we drive it, but MDI's new dual-energy
          > >engine—currently being installed in models at MDI facilities
          > >overseas—is still pretty damn cool in concept.
          > > After using
          > >compressed air fed from the same Airbus-built tanks in earlier
          > >models to run its pistons, the next-gen Air Car has a
          > >supplemental energy source to kick in north of 35 mph, ZPM says.
          > >A custom heating chamber heats the air in a process officials
          > >refused to elaborate upon, though they insisted it would increase
          > >volume and thus the car's range and speed.

          They used to be more candid. The BBC's October 26, 2000
          article showed a diagram with a constant-volume
          combustion chamber. Inject some liquid hydrocarbon fuel,
          spark it, and the air is "custom" heated.

          --- G.R.L. Cowan, ('How fire can be domesticated')
          http://www.eagle.ca/~gcowan/