(fwd) Obama nixes plan to tax motorists on mileage

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 23, 2009
      Obama nixes plan to tax motorists on mileage

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090220/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/lahood_vehicle_mileage_tax

      WASHINGTON â€" President Barack Obama will not adopt a policy to tax
      motorists based on how many miles they drive instead of how much
      gasoline they buy, his chief spokesman said Friday. Press secretary
      Robert Gibbs commented after Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told
      The Associated Press that he wants to consider the idea, which has
      been proposed in some states but has angered many drivers.

      [...]

      A blue-ribbon national transportation commission is expected to
      release a report next week recommending a VMT.

      The system would require all cars and trucks be equipped with global
      satellite positioning technology, a transponder, a clock and other
      equipment to record how many miles a vehicle was driven, whether it
      was driven on highways or secondary roads, and even whether it was
      driven during peak traffic periods or off-peak hours.

      The device would tally how much tax motorists owed depending upon
      their road use. Motorists would pay the amount owed when it was
      downloaded, probably at gas stations at first, but an alternative
      eventually would be needed.

      [...]
    • Rudy Stefenel
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 23, 2009
        What about the current way of taxing gallons of fuel bought at the pump?  This way, small efficient cars get a break and heavy trucks pay more.  This is fair.  A heavier vehicle will wear out the roads faster, but more tax is collected to help pay for that.  Also, it encourages better MPG.

        I drive on waste vegetable oil and keep a log of gallons used.  I pay California 18 cents a gallon tax and the Fed does ask for tax unless I use more than 400 gallons in a quarter.
        I never drive that much.

        It would be fair if when I drive my EV, that I keep a log of Kilowatt Hours of electricity used to charge the batteries and pay the State for equivalent of gasoline gallons of energy at 18 cents a gallon.  Better yet, I would love to see the State and Fed should give a fuel tax break to EV drivers, alternate fuel users, and the likes, to encourage getting these kind of vehicles on the road.

        Rudy Stefenel

      • Linda
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 23, 2009
          On 2/23/09 2:55 PM, Rudy Stefenel wrote:

          > What about the current way of taxing gallons of fuel bought at the pump?  This
          > way, small efficient cars get a break and heavy trucks pay more.  This is
          > fair.

          It's a regressive tax, because it means that poor people, who can least
          afford a new, cleaner car nor the higher tax, will spend a great percentage
          of their disposable income on gasoline. A $40 fillup for someone who makes
          $400 a week is putting 10% of her income in the tank; a $40 fillup for
          someone who makes $2,000 a week is putting a much smaller percentage in the
          tank. That's not really fair.