MDI Air Car Quick Re-visit

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2009
      It has been a long time since I attempted to figure out what is going
      on with these guys. A particular issue in my trying to follow them is
      that their ship has always seemed to be coming in, yet never quite
      arrives. So, I backed off trying to get frequent accurate updates
      because things just didn't seem to develop that quickly.

      I poked around just a little and they still seem to be at it, with a
      website that claims to provide some relatively recent information.

      http://www.mdi.lu/english/actualite.php
      http://www.mdi.lu/actualite.php

      The French one has a recent news paragraph that has not yet been
      translated and posted in the English one, but at a glance, it just
      looks like sort of a listing of some anticipated upcoming events....
      hard to say if they're significant.

      They mention "Air Car Forum" discussion group members visiting their
      factory. I found what looks like the forum here:

      http://air-car-concept.bb-fr.com/

      So, some in these yahoo discussion groups may wish to know about that
      forum, with the disclaimer that for all I know it is just a bit of a
      semi-front from the company. I did poke around it a bit and it looks
      more like a company-friendly forum that is in touch with the company,
      but not directly controlled?

      MDI Air Car is just one company and may not be representative of the
      best we may see from air car technology. Over the years I think this
      has been pointed out by esbuck, among others. In any event, esbuck in
      these groups has occasionally sought to remind us that air cars are an
      idea worth keeping in mind, and I am trying to do so. The idea, for
      me, is not to get tied-down to advocating any one technology, but to
      advocate better (safer, more efficient, more fun, etc.) transportation
      and maybe the air car will figure into that.
    • csceadraham
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
        --- In
        http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/future-fuels-and-vehicles/message/12580
        murdoch <murdoch@...> wrote:

        > It has been a long time since I attempted to figure out
        > what is going on with these guys. A particular issue
        > in my trying to follow them is
        > that their ship has always seemed to be coming in,
        > yet never quite arrives. So, I backed off
        > trying to get frequent accurate updates
        > because things just didn't seem to develop that quickly.
        >
        > I poked around just a little and they still seem to be at it, with a
        > website that claims to provide some relatively recent information.
        >
        > http://www.mdi.lu/english/actualite.php
        > http://www.mdi.lu/actualite.php
        >
        > The French one has a recent news paragraph that has not yet been
        > translated and posted in the English one, but at a glance, it just
        > looks like sort of a listing of some anticipated upcoming events....
        > hard to say if they're significant.
        >
        > They mention "Air Car Forum" discussion group members visiting their
        > factory. I found what looks like the forum here:
        >
        > http://air-car-concept.bb-fr.com/
        >
        > So, some in these yahoo discussion groups may wish to know
        > about that forum, with the disclaimer that for all I know
        > it is just a bit of a semi-front from the company. I did poke
        > around it a bit and it looks more like a company-friendly forum
        > that is in touch with the company,
        > but not directly controlled?
        >
        > MDI Air Car is just one company and may not be representative of the
        > best we may see from air car technology. Over the years I think
        > this has been pointed out by esbuck, among others. In any event,
        > esbuck in these groups has occasionally sought to remind us
        > that air cars are an idea worth keeping in mind, and I am trying
        > to do so. The idea, for
        > me, is not to get tied-down to advocating any one technology, but to
        > advocate better (safer, more efficient, more fun, etc.)
        > transportation and maybe the air car will figure into that.

        Ignoring the MDI history, if an air car were proposed
        for the first time today,
        what would be the principal reasons for doubt?

        --- G.R.L. Cowan, ('How fire can be tamed')
        http://www.eagle.ca/~gcowan/
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7, 2009
          [Default] On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 18:42:22 -0000, "csceadraham"
          <csceadraham@...> wrote:

          >> MDI Air Car is just one company and may not be representative of the
          >> best we may see from air car technology. Over the years I think
          >> this has been pointed out by esbuck, among others. In any event,
          >> esbuck in these groups has occasionally sought to remind us
          >> that air cars are an idea worth keeping in mind, and I am trying
          >> to do so. The idea, for
          >> me, is not to get tied-down to advocating any one technology, but to
          >> advocate better (safer, more efficient, more fun, etc.)
          >> transportation and maybe the air car will figure into that.
          >
          >Ignoring the MDI history, if an air car were proposed
          >for the first time today,
          >what would be the principal reasons for doubt?
          >--- G.R.L. Cowan, ('How fire can be tamed')
          >http://www.eagle.ca/~gcowan/

          For doubt, as to what?

          The MDI is the only air "car" I know of, and I have not seen an energy
          efficiency number on it (miles per Megajoule, or a number convertible
          to that). At least, I have not seen any, recently, or that I can
          recall. Its range seems modest, and so I fear the energy efficiency
          number may turn out to be modest.

          When I see some credible or even just credibly projected data as to
          Energy efficiency of air cars, I will have some better idea as to
          where I might guess as their place might be in the future mix.