Re:(fwd) Fire fear sparks battery recall

  • Arcologic@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2008
      Murdoch said,

      (SNIP)
      Mileage of 2000 Altra = 123 mpge.
      _http://www.fueleconhttp://www.fhttp://wwhttp://www._
      (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/16423.shtml)

      When is someone going to award the X Prize to one of these 10-year-old
      vehicles?
      (SNIP)

      Hi, Murdoch, I haven't kept up well on goings-on at the X prize site,
      however---

      The Altra appears not to qualify for the X prize competition at "123 miles
      per gallon gasoline equivalent." Using the X prize formula for CO2 emissions
      for an electric car, the Altra exceeds the CO2 emissions limit of 200 gmsCO2
      equivalent per mile. An EV must reach 133 mpgge to qualify for the race.

      Further, in my view, the Altra at least isn't a REAL EV-- just a gasser they
      stuck an electric drive in. I personally would be too embarrassed to be
      anywhere near that design nightmare. (I just looked at the photo at the web
      site.) Of course, the car is a ten-year-old design, and so we shouldn't expect
      much.

      To see how bad the car is, I calculated how it should rate with a
      high-efficiency gasoline power plant such as the Prius has. If the gasoline engine
      does 26%, pump to shaft, and the EV does 80% plug to shaft, then the Altra gets
      40 mpg as a gasser. Just not good enough for the X prize in my opinion.

      (That's 123 x 0.26 / 0.80 = 40 mpg)

      Ernie Rogers
      **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
      5 Travel Deals!

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008
        [Default] On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 22:22:06 EDT, Arcologic@... wrote:

        >Murdoch said,
        >
        >(SNIP)
        >Mileage of 2000 Altra = 123 mpge.
        >_http://www.fueleconhttp://www.fhttp://wwhttp://www._
        >(http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/16423.shtml)
        >
        >When is someone going to award the X Prize to one of these 10-year-old
        >vehicles?
        >(SNIP)
        >
        >Hi, Murdoch, I haven't kept up well on goings-on at the X prize site,
        >however---
        >
        >The Altra appears not to qualify for the X prize competition at "123 miles
        >per gallon gasoline equivalent." Using the X prize formula for CO2 emissions
        >for an electric car, the Altra exceeds the CO2 emissions limit of 200 gmsCO2
        >equivalent per mile. An EV must reach 133 mpgge to qualify for the race.

        [...]

        Hi Ernie:

        I'll take your word for it that you are accurately quoting the X Prize
        competition rules as to gms-CO2-e, as I do not have time to track down
        the number myself.

        I have no idea where you are getting the number of 200 gms-CO2-e for
        the Altra, so I'll reserve judgment on that one, as to whether that is
        an accurate number.

        In contrast to you, I'd be happy to drive an Altra, aside from concern
        about driving Sony Batteries around town.
      • Arcologic@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2008
          Hmmm,

          Yes, I agree with your point on the Altra, Murdoch, it's better to have a
          so-so EV than none at all.

          By the way, AOL has reported this morning that the most popular car by AOL
          viewers is now the VW Jetta, ahead of the Toyota Camry. This is especially
          noteworthy because the 2009 Jetta is available as a "bin 5" diesel that is
          rumored to be capable of 60 mpg. (EPA wouldn't agree on that, but they often
          wrong.)

          Negative side: The great fuel economy of the Jetta is due to superb power
          plant design-- here again we have just so-so design regarding aerodynamic drag.