Re: Ready for a declaration of energy independence?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2008
      Some of us are often accused of "bashing", over-criticizing and
      "hating" GM.

      In fact, often the opposite is true. While a few board members and
      managers and perhaps a few others at GM have unforgiveably thrown away
      the decent-and-better work that has often been done by GM engineers
      and assemblers and sales personnel, a few of us critics have attempted
      to shed light on what was going on. When they have thrown away the
      leigitmate existing interest expressed by potential customers, some of
      us have attempted to shed light on what was going on.

      Our reward for this has often been to suffer unwarranted criticism
      ourselves, but it bothers us not only to see great cars and
      opportunities thrown away, but once-great companies needlessly
      scuttled under the weight of management priorities that are evidently
      at odds with the future of the company.

      One of the guilty parties in the loss of the EV1, in my view, were
      overly-compliant Union leaders who did not raise their voices loudly
      (enough) when the company turned aside desperate pleas by customers to
      be allowed to buy Union-Made GM EV1s. Instead the company destroyed
      the vehicles.

      This horrific anti-customer anti-worker anti-shareholder anti-company
      action by GM should have triggered a much higher level of protest from
      Union Leaders. GM management should not be allowed or encouraged
      needlessly to destroy union-made products, or turn aside cash offers
      for union-made products or needlessly dismantle production capacity in
      towns where Union workers are ready, willing and anxious to make
      products for customers who are ready, willing and anxious to buy them.
      While gauging customer demand and overall business viability of a
      project is a matter of guaging degree, I think the proponents of the
      EV1 have shed sufficient light on GM Management's dishonest
      shennanigans at the time such that Union Leaders could have
      investigated decision-making at the time and demanded better
      decision-making from management. They would not have got that better
      decision-making (I think GM's top-management intentions seemed
      arguably clear since the late 90s, if not the mid-90s or even
      1990-and-prior, to some of us). Nonetheless, they would have been
      doing their jobs in a manner more-worthy of the people they are
      representing.

      Anyway, not all management is the same and not all Unions are the
      same. Almost invariablly when I raise the issue of Union Leaders at
      GM, I am met with some irrelevant overly-generalized take on Unions in
      general. I am talking about Union Leaders at GM because they had a
      role to play in the EV1 saga, and they went AWOL, in that saga.

      More broadly, as to the allegations that some of us have been
      overly-bashing GM, if the company goes bankrupt, I and many other
      critics will be able to say that we did what we could, while there was
      still time, to raise the alarm of inconsistent management which
      (strongly) evidenced having inappropriate and higher priorities than
      the company's viability, profitability and shareholder value.

      [Default] On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 10:30:34 -0700 (PDT), Eddie

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2008
        [Default] On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 13:12:39 -0700, murdoch
        <murdoch@...> wrote:

        >Anyway, not all management is the same and not all Unions are the
        >same. Almost invariablly when I raise the issue of Union Leaders at
        >GM, I am met with some irrelevant overly-generalized take on Unions in
        >general. I am talking about Union Leaders at GM because they had a
        >role to play in the EV1 saga, and they went AWOL, in that saga.

        This was overly harsh on my part. I should not have said that GM
        Union Leaders were "AWOL" with regard to the GM EV1 Scuttling since
        I'm not sure of this. I just didn't hear much from them, and I think
        we all should have heard more. It is possible that they tried to do
        their jobs and raise the alarm that the company was choosing to
        scuttle Union-Made products that customers wanted. Unfortuantely, if
        they tried to do their job, it did not come across to many of us.

        If a company has products which are popular with customers and
        workers, and which overcome botched marketing, botched Gen1 efforts,
        delayed delivery times and exceedingly limited availability, then I
        think it's appropriate for not only the customers but for Union
        Leaders to join with everyone and ask, loudly and clearly:

        Why the hell is the company trying so hard to prevent that product
        from having a working example in existence, in public, for anyone to
        see?