Re: [evworld] Subaru hybrid

  • timlamour@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
      >>> Wow! This looks promising. It accelerates up to 80kph before the ICE kicks
      in. How does that compare to Toyota and Honda? I didn't see how far it would
      go as EV only. Anybody know?

      Paul <<<<

      It's partly a GM product .... 200 feet? :-) Tim.
    • Felix Kramer
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
        http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nb20031007a4.htm

        Fuji Heavy unveils powerful hybrid engine

        By AKEMI NAKAMURA
        Staff writer

        Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. unveiled a new gasoline-electric hybrid engine
        equipped with a more powerful motor at a technology workshop held Monday by
        the General Motors Corp. group in Tokyo.
        The new hybrid system consists of a horizontally opposed engine, an
        electric motor that can generate 100 kw and a manganese lithium-ion
        battery, according to the maker of Subaru vehicles.

        A 2,000cc vehicle equipped with this system can accelerate to 80 kph using
        only the electric motor, company officials said. Hybrid vehicles developed
        by Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co. need to use both an engine and
        electric motor to reach that speed.

        Fuji Heavy, 20 percent owned by U.S. auto giant GM, will display a concept
        car incorporating the hybrid system at the 37th Tokyo Motor Show, which
        opens to the public Oct. 25.

        GM, Suzuki Motor Corp., and truck maker Isuzu Motors Ltd. are exhibiting
        advanced environmentally friendly vehicle technology at the technology
        workshop, which runs until Friday.

        GM said it has spent $1 billion since 1997 developing fuel-cell vehicles.
        It is showing two of its fuel-cell vehicles -- the Hy-wire and the
        HydroGen3 -- at the workshop.

        The Hy-wire is the world's first fuel-cell vehicle using so-called by-wire
        technology, which electronically controls braking, acceleration and
        handling systems.

        British-made Toyotas
        Toyota Motor Corp. on Monday took the wraps off the Avensis luxury sedan
        and station wagon assembled at its British plant for Japanese consumers.
        Toyota President Fujio Cho introduced the 2-liter models made at Toyota
        Motor Manufacturing (UK) Ltd. at a news conference in Tokyo.

        The British unit has factories in Derbyshire and North Wales.

        Although the European versions of the Avensis models debuted in Europe in
        March, they rolled into the showrooms of Toyota's domestic Vista dealership
        network on Monday.

        Toyota said the Avensis models have achieved a five-star collision-safety
        rating under the European new car assessment program, which is one of the
        world's strictest collision safety evaluation programs.

        It said the rating reflected the models' seven air bags, including a
        driver's knee air bag, and an improved collision-safety car body structure.

        The Japan Times: Oct. 7, 2003
      • Johann Joseph
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
          Nah, GM will lease them and then because it's a good technology they
          will take all the cars back and crush them without an opportunity
          for the lessee to buy it. ;)

          More seriously...I'm certain that we'll have to wait till Oct 25th
          when they show their hybrid concept car at the Tokyo autoshow. They
          should have much more details then and reporters asking questions as
          well.