Looking for Info on the Ford Escape Hybrid

  • fido95111
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2002
      Has anyone seen any info on the Escape Hybrid that's coming
      out spring '03? I saw a one line write up in the paper awhile ago
      when they were talking about the '03 cars coming out.

      Thanks for any info,

      /Terry/
    • Felix Kramer
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 29, 2002
        At 08:00 PM 10/29/02 Tuesday +0000, fido95111 wrote:

        > Has anyone seen any info on the Escape Hybrid that's coming
        > out spring '03? I saw a one line write up in the paper awhile ago
        > when they were talking about the '03 cars coming out.
        >
        > Thanks for any info,
        >
        > /Terry/

        Info is still skimpy:

        Bill Ford at CERES 2000 Conference in San Francisco, April 14, 2000

        I'm pleased to report that we will have a hybrid-electric Sport Utility
        Vehicle for sale in 2003. It will be based on our new, compact Ford Escape,
        and will get 40 miles-per-gallon in stop-and-go city driving, and achieve a
        California Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle rating. We think it will be the
        cleanest, most fuel-efficient SUV on the planet when it goes on sale. We
        are listening.

        http://www.evworld.com/databases/shownews.cfm?pageid=news090802-02
        Improving SUV Fuel Efficiency Harder Than Expected, Says Ford Executive
        (excerpt from Sept 02 article)

        Late next year, Ford will begin building a version of its Ford Escape small
        SUV with a hybrid gasoline-electric powertrain, capable of achieving 40
        miles (64 km) per gallon in city driving. Cischke and Bill Ford both said
        this week that Ford would build as many hybrid Escapes as the market would
        demand, unlike the limited production of hybrid models by Honda and Toyota
        on sale now.

        But Cischske said a similar hybrid system that had been planned for the
        larger Ford Explorer in 2004 had been cancelled because it failed to meet
        the goal of improving efficiency by eight to 10 percent.
        -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
        Felix Kramer fkramer@...
        California Car Company Initiator
        http://www.calcars.us
        cell 650.520.5555 voice 650.599.9992
        -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
      • mark_viergutz
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 30, 2002
          Looks like the best place for info might still be Ford's own sight:
          http://www.hybridford.com/

          Under the FAQ:
          When can I buy an Escape HEV?
          We currently expect the vehicle to be released nationwide at the end
          of the 2003 calendar year. You should be able to purchase one, or at
          least order one from your local dealer around that time. Check with
          your local dealer next spring or summer to see if they have a waiting
          list.