Re: [RAV4-EV] (fwd) [ETList] Prius makes great Taxicabs!

  • Bruce Tucker
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2003
      That's exactly what Phoenix Motorcars ( http://www.phoenixmotorcars.com ) is
      doing.

      from http://66.218.37.153/news.html
      "On January 2, 2003, Phoenix Motorcars (PMI) received a purchase order for
      twenty electric automobiles from a taxicab company based in Sacramento,
      California. They ordered 1937 Ford style Phaeton 4-door touring sedans.
      Incidentally, the company wants a total of eighty vehicles in their fleet
      and every indication is that they will exercise their option to order the
      other sixty cars upon delivery of the first twenty."

      Bruce Tucker
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2003
        I had seen them mentioned on Noel's list of EVs that are available for purchase,
        and didn't quite know what to make of them. At first glance their prices seemed
        out of my range.

        The 4 door vehicle they mention for the fleet purchase project is not pictured
        on their list of available vehicles:

        http://66.218.37.153/cars.html

        I wonder if this 4-door sedan is continuing in production, and if anyone can
        look into buying it. All these fancy odd-retro-looking 2 doors are nice, but
        for mainstream business purposes, a more mainstream vehicle might have broader
        appeal (so the theory goes).

        Overall, I like the idea of marrying the street rod movement with the EV
        production efforts, as they mention in their "about" area. Might as well have
        an effort like that, particularly considering the antipathy of seemingly all the
        carmakers to making "gliders" available anywhere, ever.

        I always thought they were in Phoenix, but I see now they're in Ojai, near the
        Coast North of LA. I bet there are some Phoenix Residents who wouldn't mind
        having one or two of their cars, right about now, just for getting to work.

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2003
          I hope they consider attending and bringing a car to Paul Scott's
          meeting on October 5 in Santa Monica. When I attended the meeting
          last year, there was a lot of opportunity to take rides in different
          vehicles, and apparently this year AC Propulsion will have a vehicle
          present, so why not Phoenix also?

          Someone pointed out to me that the 37 Phaeton is probably their
          4-door.

          http://66.218.37.153/cars.html

          The pricing I found on evfinder.com:

          http://www.evfinder.com/full_sized_evs.htm

          "They are also excepting individual orders with prices ranging from
          $65,000 to $120,000 per vehicle."

          But I guess I'd just take that as a guideline until I was able to
          speak directly with them. The meeting info: