Miles XS500

  • Ron Cochran
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 18 1:34 PM
      It is interesting that there is almost no mention of
      the Miles Electric Vehicles' XS500 on this ListServe.
      Although its release has been delayed until the first
      quarter of 2009 (they were saying late 2008), this car
      promises to be the first affordable (sort of - $32K)
      highway-capable BEV to be marketed in the US. It
      promises to be the car that proves that what the EV-1
      and others were is the last 20th century can actually
      be repeated in the early 21st century. Seems like a "no
      brainer", doesn't it?

      I have learned from Miles that a major article on the
      XS500 is due to appear in Forbes Magazine in March.

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 20 9:13 PM
        You're right, and I'm as guilty of that as anyone.

        In my own case, I have laid the groundwork for an excuse. I've said
        before that I don't go so much for the Ferrari-fighting vehicles, but
        rather for the family-oriented vehicles. I just don't care as much
        about the performance thing as I used to. Also, I don't know how safe
        it is to put Ferrari-level performance out on the streets alongside
        regular vehicles, with the way our transportation system is set up.

        Also, isn't it a bit less viable as a day-to-day vehicle in all
        climates (open to the air or something like that)?

        Others have been much more clear that they think we should do more to
        discuss and be aware of the Miles EV, and I guess they're right,
        particularly if he is going to make it comparatively affordable
        comparatively available. If the US and the world are on the verge of
        a new era of high oil prices and dramatically altered personal
        micro-economics, then a genuinely available Miles EV, particularly at
        the prices you mention, could be part of a new era of solutions.

        [Default] On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:34:00 -0500, "Ron Cochran"

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 20 9:30 PM
          I see.... these look like regular family-oriented EVs, not
          Ferrari-fighters.

          http://www.milesev.com/index.asp#hsv.swf

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Automotive_Group

          I am confused. What car is it that I was thinking of that was the
          Ferrari fighter.

          In any event, again, the point is taken that we should spend a bit of
          time getting to know these cars and their pricing, availability,
          reputation, warranty terms, etc.

          [Default] On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:13:42 -0700, murdoch

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 20 9:33 PM
            I see. I was confusing it with the Wrightspeed. Sorry about that...

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrightspeed

            [Default] On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:30:18 -0700, murdoch

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 20 11:39 PM
              The web sight and the car look very nice. 80 MPH with 120 mile range sounds great and if the thing held up well it would be worth the bucks. Fingers crossed.

              murdoch <murdoch@...> wrote: I see. I was confusing it with the Wrightspeed. Sorry about that...

              <murdoch@...> wrote:

              >I see.... these look like regular family-oriented EVs, not
              >Ferrari-fighters.
              >
              >http://www.milesev.com/index.asp#hsv.swf
              >
              >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Automotive_Group
              >
              >I am confused. What car is it that I was thinking of that was the
              >Ferrari fighter.
              >
              >In any event, again, the point is taken that we should spend a bit of
              >time getting to know these cars and their pricing, availability,
              >reputation, warranty terms, etc.
              >

              >[Default] On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:13:42 -0700, murdoch
              ><murdoch@...> wrote:
              >

              >>You're right, and I'm as guilty of that as anyone.
              >>
              >>In my own case, I have laid the groundwork for an excuse. I've said
              >>before that I don't go so much for the Ferrari-fighting vehicles, but
              >>rather for the family-oriented vehicles. I just don't care as much
              >>about the performance thing as I used to. Also, I don't know how safe
              >>it is to put Ferrari-level performance out on the streets alongside
              >>regular vehicles, with the way our transportation system is set up.
              >>
              >>Also, isn't it a bit less viable as a day-to-day vehicle in all
              >>climates (open to the air or something like that)?
              >>
              >>Others have been much more clear that they think we should do more to
              >>discuss and be aware of the Miles EV, and I guess they're right,
              >>particularly if he is going to make it comparatively affordable
              >>comparatively available. If the US and the world are on the verge of
              >>a new era of high oil prices and dramatically altered personal
              >>micro-economics, then a genuinely available Miles EV, particularly at
              >>the prices you mention, could be part of a new era of solutions.
              >>

              >>[Default] On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:34:00 -0500, "Ron Cochran"
              >><rcochran@...> wrote:
              >>
              >>>It is interesting that there is almost no mention of
              >>>the Miles Electric Vehicles' XS500 on this ListServe.
              >>>Although its release has been delayed until the first
              >>>quarter of 2009 (they were saying late 2008), this car
              >>>promises to be the first affordable (sort of - $32K)
              >>>highway-capable BEV to be marketed in the US. It
              >>>promises to be the car that proves that what the EV-1
              >>>and others were is the last 20th century can actually
              >>>be repeated in the early 21st century. Seems like a "no
              >>>brainer", doesn't it?
              >>>
              >>>I have learned from Miles that a major article on the
              >>>XS500 is due to appear in Forbes Magazine in March.

              >>>Yahoo! Groups Links
              >>>

              >>Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Eddie
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 21 4:39 PM
                Has anyone seen any of the NEVs they have on the market? Curious to
                see if they delivery vehicles already rusting out as the other Chinese
                three wheeled vehicle manufacturer is delivering to unsuspecting
                customers?

                --- In future-fuels-and-vehicles@yahoogroups.com, Lee Dekker

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 21 6:14 PM
                  Eddie,

                  Who is the other company that you mention, who is
                  selling three-wheeled Chinese made EV's in the US?

                  Thanks

                  IQ (intelligence quotient) is important, but CQ
                  (curiosity quotient) and PQ (passion quotient) are even
                  more important - Thomas Friedman

                  _____

                  Has anyone seen any of the NEVs they have on the
                  market? Curious to
                  see if they delivery vehicles already rusting out as
                  the other Chinese
                  three wheeled vehicle manufacturer is delivering to
                  unsuspecting
                  customers?

                  --- In future-fuels-
                  <mailto:future-fuels-and-vehicles%40yahoogroups.com>

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 22, 2009
                    Does anyone know what the story is with the Miles XS500 EV? Miles had most
                    recently stated that it should be on the market in the US by the 1st quarter
                    of 2009. Now, I see that it has essentially vanished from the Miles Website
                    entirely.

                    Miles has supposedly had several test XS500's in the US for the past several
                    months. Their expected price for the car had pretty much gotten so high
                    that it was out of reach for me, but I didn't expect to see the XS500 vanish
                    from the Miles Website altogether.

                    Anyone know what happened?

                    Thanks,

                    Ron

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 22, 2009
                      I don't have the answers.

                      I guess they were partnering with is FAW:

                      http://www.edmunds.com/advice/alternativefuels/articles/122759/article.html

                      So, I would try to scour to see if FAW has been saying anything, but
                      at a glance I don't see anything:

                      http://www.faw.com/webcontent/news.jsp?year=2009

                      I love the "unmanned vehicle" effort here:

                      http://www.faw.com/innovation/index.jsp

                      It is what it sounds like. Not sure we'll see one any time soon on
                      the roads, but it's still great that someone is working aggressively
                      on this.

                      [Default] On Fri, 22 May 2009 20:47:05 -0500, "Ron Cochran"

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 4, 2009
                        It looks like there is news out with respect to a High-speed Electric
                        from Miles Rubin. It won't happen I guess until 2010, and it will be
                        named something else, but it looks like the overall project is still
                        much in-line to happen:

                        http://evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=21151

                        We could theorize that organizations like Ford and GM are too large
                        and not nimble enough to move quickly enough to come out with viable
                        higher-quality affordable High-Speed Full-Electric Vehicles. At the
                        same time, Nissan and Mitsubishi seem to be moving, so that can't be
                        the full answer.

                        <rcochran@...> wrote:

                        >Does anyone know what the story is with the Miles XS500 EV? Miles had most
                        >recently stated that it should be on the market in the US by the 1st quarter
                        >of 2009. Now, I see that it has essentially vanished from the Miles Website
                        >entirely.
                        >

                        >Miles has supposedly had several test XS500's in the US for the past several
                        >months. Their expected price for the car had pretty much gotten so high
                        >that it was out of reach for me, but I didn't expect to see the XS500 vanish
                        >from the Miles Website altogether.
                        >

                        >Anyone know what happened?
                        >

                        >Thanks,
                        >

                        >Ron

                      • Ron Cochran
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 4, 2009
                          I am glad to see that the XS500 is not dead. Still, this is a car that was
                          promised by late 2008 at a cost of about $30,000. Now we are talking about
                          2010 (GM seems to have set the clock at late 2010 for EV's) at a cost 50%
                          higher ($45,000) than was originally projected. Even with the $7,500
                          government credit, we are at $37,500, which is too rich for my blood.
                          Perhaps my state (North Carolina) will come up with some sort of tax
                          incentive to help get the XS500 into a more affordable range.

                          On the up side, Miles is known to make very well build EV's, judging from
                          the low speed EV's that are on the market now. Even after several months in
                          the humid environment of North Carolina and after overseas shipping here
                          from China, their low speed EV's show no sign of any rust. Pretty good
                          test!

                          Best,