Article: Lithium Batteries Banned From Checked Bags

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2008
      It seems like there are some modifications to this, so that it will
      not affect all Lithium batteries. (Carrying a cell phone equipped
      with a Lithium battery onto an airplane apparently will be ok... as to
      laptops, I think so, hard to say for-sure...?)

      http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205206086

      [...]

      >The administration is treating lithium batteries as
      >hazardous materials since they're known for overheating and
      >catching fire in some conditions. Tests conducted by the
      >Federal Aviation Administration show that aircraft cargo
      >fire suppression systems on airplanes are incapable of
      >containing fires caused by nonrechargeable lithium batteries
      >packaged in bulk quantities.
      >
      >A small fire source is enough to ignite a lithium battery.
      >The outer plastic coating can melt easily and fuse
      >neighboring batteries together to increase the intensity of
      >the fire, according to a June 2004 report published by the
      >Office of Aviation Research.
      >
      >In a situation where a lithium battery ignites in carry-on
      >baggage, flight crews can better monitor the fire since they
      >have access to fire extinguishers.
      >
      >There have been several instances in the past year that have
      >raised red flags about lithium batteries.

      [...]

      http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/31/lithium-battery-ban-check-again/?em&ex=1199336400&en=877f266deba6da31&ei=5087%0A