5410Re: [evworld] Re: Batteries

    Oct 8, 2005
      The range issue does seem to be a sticking point, even with the most optimistic battery
      projections. But with this, as with all the other issues, we just don't know. For
      certain, liquid fuels are a wonderful way to provide power for vehicles, but an electric
      motor is still the best way to get that power to the wheels. Electricity is also the best
      way to power all the other vehicle functions including power steering, air conditioning,
      breaks and of course the gauges, sound systems, windows, sunroofs, doors and who knows
      what else.

      One thing about electricity that is inherently different from liquid fuels is its
      availability and its transportability. While there is a percentage of energy loss as
      electricity travels through long transmission lines, this percentage is small compared to
      the inefficiency of a tanker truck delivering liquid fuels and driving home empty. There
      are pros and cons to both systems so it's likely both will be with us for quite some
      time. Each has certain advantages that the other lacks. But no matter what fuel is used
      to power the vehicle and its amenities, that fuel will need to be converted into
      electricity to run certain vehicle functions.

      Here are some things we can do with an electric vehicle that we will never be able to do
      with the liquid only fueled vehicle.

      Drive to your Aunt Mildred's, way out in the boonies, and fill your tank (battery) from
      an outlet in her double-wide as you have tea.

      Park your car in a miserably hot parking lot, leave it there most of the day, and come
      back to a car with more fuel in it then when you parked it there. Not only that but come
      back to a car that's nice and cool inside.

      Come home from work, park your car in the garage, plug it in and go flop on the couch.
      All without getting gasoline on your hands or spilling it on your clothes or shoes. And
      without driving miles out of your way to find a station.

      Drive your electric RV up to the Sierra, deploy your photovoltaic awning, enjoy hiking
      the area for a few days and drive home with a full tank (battery).

      Those are just a few of the differences that come to mind. There must be gobs more. And
      none of this has touched on some of the other advantages of electric drive. Electricity
      is simply more versatile. All aspects of electric drive including batteries open a new
      world for vehicle designers.

      This is not really a point to be argued. Things will happen as they happen and in a level
      playing field the best option will win. Has there ever been a level playing field?
      Probably not. So to repeat, the plug-in hybrid electric vehicle is probably the best area
      of research in which to place our own personal energies. At the same time it wouldn't
      hurt if we focused more specifically on the battery as key to achieving many of our
      goals. At the present I don't see such a focus. We hear about conservation, wind
      turbines, photovoltaics, biofuels and other essential schemes to achieve our energy
      goals. But we rarely if ever hear a cry for more deliberate, vehicle battery research.
      Hopefully that will change but in the meantime one thing we can do is try to keep an open
      mind. And that in itself is a tall order.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic