13234Re: [future-fuels-and-vehicles] article: How Ma Bell Shelved the Future for 60 Years

    Dec 1, 2010
      No prob. I think for my money, for years (or even decades) one of the
      things missing from the EV conversation on the ivory tower front has
      been the voice(s) of academics in anthropology and business and
      history, particularly to lend some broad overview perspective on new
      technologies and the historical difficulties and problems of bringing
      them in, how the old technology companies circle the wagons, how each
      of the players responds, etc.

      So, we should keep our eyes peeled, I think, for some sharp
      perspective on the history of these matters, and which academics seem
      level-headed and insightful and can apply their perspective
      intelligently to the area of transportation and vehicles.

      Dave, side-note: I do think ATT's behavior was a big deal (especially
      re-reading it) it's just that for some reason when I first read it, I
      thought they were going to tell me that they had mobile phone
      technology in the 30s.

      As it was, magnetic tape recording did come into the culture within a
      few years (though it sounds like maybe ATT succeeded in keeping it out
      of the mainstream to connect it to telephone tech for several
      decades?)

      [Default] On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 19:07:33 -0500, Oliver Perry