13106Re: [future-fuels-and-vehicles] Envisioning a Small Electric BMW for the World's Very Big Cities

  • Oliver Perry
    Jul 5, 2010
      Thanks for the news clipping.

      Our nation's lighting once ran on Whale oil. At that time it was recorded that someone said, that the black stuff coming out of the ground would not be used until we ran out of whales. Now it seems as if the electric highway will not become a reality, even in large cities, until fossil fuels become so hard to get that their price exceeds the alternative. It is interesting that more and more major car companies seem to be jumping on the electric bandwagon. But, I fear much of it is for hype and the raising of awareness for their brand names. As someone else also said, hydrocarbon fuels contain so much energy per pound that if we had not discovered them we would have invented them. So far it has been cheaper and more efficient for nations to clean up the pollution side of fossil fuels than to switch to alternatives, even in face of the Gulf disaster, which is providing jobs and even newer technology for the clean up. Do we wish something horrible like the Chernoble nuclear accident to happen in the fossil fuel world to turn the masses off from our addiction to the use of fossil fuels? The fear of radiation and the high cost of protection has limited the nuclear industry. Nothing comparable has happened in the ICE world, at least in the minds of the masses here on earth. When you realize that probably the most powerful companies and governments in the world are firmly established in the oll and coal business it is easy to conclude that electric vehicle dominance, even in highly populated cities, is going to be very slow in coming... even though an integrated EV system might be a superior system. These huge powerbrokers have the resources to dictate how the energy game is going to be played for years. Do you feel that even the mighty Obama who promised us change has changed his tune since his campaign for the White House? Not even Obama, for all his talk, has free reign to turn the monopoly table upside down. He is just another small player sitting on the corner hoping that the dice will fall in his favor. We will know that things are changing when large investors begin to invest in alternative ways of distributing energy. Some have tried but the latest findings have concluded that it is still an economic gamble to plunge whole hog into the green energy movement. When the risk is lower then I think change will occur at a faster pace. Unfortunately honest people cannot sincerely encourage somebody with limited resources to invest in green energy projects. I invested in a company on the advice of a close friend whose son had left IBM to form the company,about 15 years ago, and so far I have lost most of what I invested. But,, I did it because I was willing to help the cause, knowing it was a risk.

      I think electric transportation is neat and a great thing. But, it is still a hard sell when considering financial profitability.

      Thanks again for your enthusiasm.

      Ollie Perry
      EEVC