Persistent Fusebox error -- cftry/cfcatch

  • Darius Fattahipour
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012
      Hi,

      There's a persistent FB error message I receive (below) that seems to occur for no discernable reason.  Once it occurs, it brings down the entire site and the only way to recover is to restart CF services and delete the parsed files.

      This particular app I'm maintaining was first developed in 2003.  I'm currently runing CF8, FB 5.5 (latest build). From what I've learned, this is a known FB bug but I don't know if there is any way to suppress or better diagnose this error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Many thanks!
      blue

      <pre>
      Context validation error for the cfcatch tag.
      The tag must be nested inside a CFTRY tag.

      The error occurred in E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/parsed/clogin.main.cfm: line 228
      Called from E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/fusebox5/Application.cfc: line 237
      Called from E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/fusebox5/Application.cfc: line 227
      Called from E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/fusebox5/fusebox5.cfm: line 57
      Called from E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/index.cfm: line 75

      226 : <cfthrow type="fusebox.missingFuse" message="missing Fuse" detail="You tried to include a fuse dsp_MainFooter.cfm in circuit Layouts which does not exist (from fuseaction Layouts.Main).">
      229 : </cftry>
      230 :
      </pre>

    • Peter Boughton
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012
      • Matthew Gersting
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012
          Immediate guess: it sounds like you're in a production environment in a development mode and it's creating corrupt parse files. Fusebox reload, last I heard, is not thread safe. (though I also remember hearing some talk that someone had modified the core to address this, I don't think it ever got pulled in, most likely to due to the longtime issue of Fusebox ownership that existed at the time).

        • sommers.steve@rocketmail.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012
            What is your fusebox "mode" set to? I've seen all sort of strange errors when the mode is set to anything but "production" and multiple HTTP requests hit the server at the same time.

            --Steve

            --- In fusebox5@yahoogroups.com, Darius Fattahipour <fattahipour@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > There's a persistent FB error message I receive (below) that seems to occur for no discernable reason.  Once it occurs, it brings down the entire site and the only way to recover is to restart CF services and delete the parsed files.

            > This particular app I'm maintaining was first developed in 2003.  I'm currently runing CF8, FB 5.5 (latest build). From what I've learned, this is a known FB bug but I don't know if there is any way to suppress or better diagnose this error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
            >
            > Many thanks!
            > blue
            >
            > <pre>
            > Context validation error for the cfcatch tag.
            > The tag must be nested inside a CFTRY tag.
            >
            > The error occurred in E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/parsed/clogin.main.cfm: line 228
            > Called from E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/fusebox5/Application.cfc: line 237
            > Called from E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/fusebox5/Application.cfc: line 227
            > Called from E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/fusebox5/fusebox5.cfm: line 57
            > Called from E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/index.cfm: line 75
            >
            > 226 : <cfthrow type="fusebox.missingFuse" message="missing Fuse" detail="You tried to include a fuse dsp_MainFooter.cfm in circuit Layouts which does not exist (from fuseaction Layouts.Main).">
            > 229 : </cftry>
            > 230 :
            > </pre>

          • Phillip Vector
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012

              Yeah.  If you put a development fusebox on a production server, you are going to have a bad time.

              On Nov 2, 2012 3:00 PM, "sommers.steve@..." <steve@...> wrote:
              What is your fusebox "mode" set to? I've seen all sort of strange errors when the mode is set to anything but "production" and multiple HTTP requests hit the server at the same time.

              --Steve

              --- In fusebox5@yahoogroups.com, Darius Fattahipour <fattahipour@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > There's a persistent FB error message I receive (below) that seems to occur for no discernable reason.  Once it occurs, it brings down the entire site and the only way to recover is to restart CF services and delete the parsed files.

              > This particular app I'm maintaining was first developed in 2003.  I'm currently runing CF8, FB 5.5 (latest build). From what I've learned, this is a known FB bug but I don't know if there is any way to suppress or better diagnose this error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
              >
              > Many thanks!
              > blue
              >
              > <pre>
              > Context validation error for the cfcatch tag.
              > The tag must be nested inside a CFTRY tag.
              >
              > The error occurred in E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/parsed/clogin.main.cfm: line 228
              > Called from E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/fusebox5/Application.cfc: line 237
              > Called from E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/fusebox5/Application.cfc: line 227
              > Called from E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/fusebox5/fusebox5.cfm: line 57
              > Called from E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/index.cfm: line 75
              >
              > 226 : <cfthrow type="fusebox.missingFuse" message="missing Fuse" detail="You tried to include a fuse dsp_MainFooter.cfm in circuit Layouts which does not exist (from fuseaction Layouts.Main).">
              > 229 : </cftry>
              > 230 :
              > </pre>

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  fusebox5-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  fusebox5-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Peter Boughton
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2012
                Just to clarify, the issue is *not* only with the development modes. (Indeed, development-circuit-load is immune to the problem.)

                The issues occurs because the parsed file generation is not thread safe, and parsed file generation can still occur in production mode.

                The message/patch I linked above forces the parsed file generation to be single-threaded, irrespective of mode, so parsed file corruption doesn't occur.
              • fattahipour
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 6, 2012
                  Thanks to everyone for their feedback. The issue exists in both dev and prod modes. I've tried the above patch and it the error message still persists. The only thing that ended up resolving it for me was to suppress FB error messages by commenting out <cfthrow type="#arguments.type#" message="#arguments.message#" detail="#arguments.detail#" /> in fuseboxLexiconCompiler.cfc. Optionally, you can also comment out the fb_throw function throughout the FB core files.

                  --- In fusebox5@yahoogroups.com, Peter Boughton <boughtonp@...> wrote:

                  > Just to clarify, the issue is *not* only with the development modes.
                  > (Indeed, development-circuit-load is immune to the problem.)
                  >
                  > The issues occurs because the parsed file generation is not thread safe,
                  > and parsed file generation can still occur in production mode.
                  >
                  > The message/patch I linked above forces the parsed file generation to be
                  > single-threaded, irrespective of mode, so parsed file corruption doesn't
                  > occur.

                • Peter Boughton
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 6, 2012
                    After applying the patch, did you clear all relevant caches and perform a full refresh with loadclean and parseall ?
                  • raymondvarner
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 6, 2012
                      My apologies if I'm repeating someone else's post ...
                      Perhaps try:

                      - Clear the template cache through the CFAdmin.
                      - Shut down ColdFusion server.
                      - Delete all the class files from /WEB-INF/cfclasses/
                      - Restart the ColdFusion server
                      - Use the recommended techniques to flush the FuseBox parsed files

                      Hope it helps!

                      --- In fusebox5@yahoogroups.com, Darius Fattahipour <fattahipour@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > There's a persistent FB error message I receive (below) that seems to occur for no discernable reason.  Once it occurs, it brings down the entire site and the only way to recover is to restart CF services and delete the parsed files.

                      > This particular app I'm maintaining was first developed in 2003.  I'm currently runing CF8, FB 5.5 (latest build). From what I've learned, this is a known FB bug but I don't know if there is any way to suppress or better diagnose this error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                      >
                      > Many thanks!
                      > blue
                      >
                      > <pre>
                      > Context validation error for the cfcatch tag.
                      > The tag must be nested inside a CFTRY tag.
                      >
                      > The error occurred in E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/parsed/clogin.main.cfm: line 228
                      > Called from E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/fusebox5/Application.cfc: line 237
                      > Called from E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/fusebox5/Application.cfc: line 227
                      > Called from E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/fusebox5/fusebox5.cfm: line 57
                      > Called from E:/JRun4/servers/cat_dev_int/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/index.cfm: line 75
                      >
                      > 226 : <cfthrow type="fusebox.missingFuse" message="missing Fuse" detail="You tried to include a fuse dsp_MainFooter.cfm in circuit Layouts which does not exist (from fuseaction Layouts.Main).">
                      > 229 : </cftry>
                      > 230 :
                      > </pre>

                    • fattahipour
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 6, 2012
                        There's no CF cached turned on so I typically restart the CF instance and just clear out the parsed files.