Re: [fusebox5] Fusebox changing hands and moving forward

  • Kai Koenig
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 8, 2012
      Hi John,

      I've got a bunch of IntelliJ LiveTemplates and Eclipse snippets for Fusebox 5 XML that I'd like to contribute.

      Is there any good place to put those? I could certainly clone the repo and put them somewhere in there via a pull request - or maybe they should rather go into the Github wiki or on Fusebox.org.

      Let me know,

      Cheers
      Kai

      --
      Kai Koenig - Ventego Creative Ltd
      ph: +64 4 476 6781 - mob: +64 21 928 365 / +61 435 263 414
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 9, 2012
        FWIW, a while back, I put some on riaforge.org

        On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 9:30 PM, Kai Koenig <kai@...> wrote:

        Hi John,

        I've got a bunch of IntelliJ LiveTemplates and Eclipse snippets for Fusebox 5 XML that I'd like to contribute.

        Is there any good place to put those? I could certainly clone the repo and put them somewhere in there via a pull request - or maybe they should rather go into the Github wiki or on Fusebox.org.

        Let me know,

        Cheers
        Kai

        > The Fusebox Framework has transferred hands from TeraTech to myself
        > and a couple other ColdFusion developers. The copyright has been
        > removed and is available at github.
        >
        > It has been a long process in the making and I would like to thank
        > Michael Smith and TeraTech for overseeing the Framework for all these
        > years.
        >
        > Going forward. Our vision for Fusebox is mainly to place the framework
        > back into the hands of the community. Here are a couple of highlights
        > of what we want to do ...
        >
        > Documentation of the Internals of the Framework
        >
        > We want for the community to be able to pick up an issue and do the
        > work themselves. From there they could provide us with a patch that
        > would contain the fix. In order for us to expect developers to do
        > this. We need to provide some documentation on how the framework works
        > on the inside.
        >
        > Provide Examples on how to fork and patch
        >
        > Write Selenium Tests and Applications to test against
        >
        > Document small initial performance improvements
        >
        > Go through the code and create tickets for small performance
        > improvements that we can see.
        >
        > Improved error reporting
        >
        > Give better error reports when there is a mistake in one of the
        > fusebox or circuit XML files that will help a user (especially a new
        > user) see where the mistake is in their code.
        >
        > Continuous Integration
        >
        > Full details of our initial plans can be found here.
        > http://fusebox.org/index.cfm/fusebox-downloads/fusebox-56/

        --
        Kai Koenig - Ventego Creative Ltd
        ph: +64 4 476 6781 - mob: +64 21 928 365 / +61 435 263 414
        web: http://www.ventego-creative.co.nz
        blog: http://www.bloginblack.de
        twitter: http://www.twitter.com/agentK

        John Bliss - http://about.me/jbliss

      • Kai Koenig
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 9, 2012
          Ah, cool! Haven't even seen them before!

          But to come back to my question - where do you think those external things such as IDE helpers etc should live? Happy to make them available on my bitbucket account in the meantime as well if anyone is interested.

          Cheers
          Kai

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 9, 2012
            I guess my vote is for riaforge.org. Mr. Blayter...?

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 9, 2012
              Yeah, I'm happy to list it there as a project with some info, but I'd rather use the github or bitbucket infrastructure than riaforge's. Not a big fan at all of SVN and the gitsvn integration isn't really what I'd want to do either.

              Cheers
              Kai

            • John Blayter
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 9, 2012
                If you have anything to add (resources, snippets, patches) just send them over to me for the meantime and I'll get them up. I am still a n00b when it comes to GitHub so if you want to just send them over to me I will add them to the site as well as the fusebox 5.6 branch.

                If you want to work on the code with us please send me your github username and email address. I will add you to the project and the mura site.

                I've torn through a bunch of the existing 5.5 code to try and understand it better and start to even work on 5.6. My goal is to have at least the ability to have your fusebox.xml be CFC based by the end of the month.

                John Blayter
                Land line: 303.731.3009
                Mobile: 303.325.1979
                http://www.blayter.com/john/

                Denver ColdFusion User Group Manager
                http://denvercfug.org/

              • dcmccan@rocketmail.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 19, 2012
                  Fusebox has been a project in need of rescuing. Thank you and congratulations.

                  My suggestion, for what it's worth, is that you take your time on the first release and make it rock solid as there might be a lot of initial interest because it is being revived. A good release can build on that.

                  If you need a project codename for the first release I would suggest 'Phoenix'.

                  Best wishes
                • Matthew Gersting
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 20, 2012
                    Also, FWIW, some time ago when Adam Haskell was starting up the short-lived FuseNG project there was talk of integrating the Fusecache plugin into the core. That offer still, of course, stands.

                    > rescuing. Thank you and congratulations.
                    >
                    > My suggestion, for what it's worth, is that you take your
                    > time on the first release and make it rock solid as there
                    > might be a lot of initial interest because it is being
                    > revived.  A good release can build on that.
                    >
                    > If you need a project codename for the first release I would
                    > suggest 'Phoenix'.
                    >
                    > Best wishes

                    >     fusebox5-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  • John Blayter
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 20, 2012
                      Matthew,

                      That is a cool plugin! I will take a look at that later on this week
                      about adding that to the core files of 5.6. I currently have the
                      fuseboxApplication.cfc ripped to shreds in trying to get the
                      fusebox.xml converted to a CFC. I really want to also have a way to
                      use logbox as well at its core.

                      If anyone has some information on GIT patching and merging I would
                      love to see them. We need to figure out a way for all of us to
                      contribute to the project and for the core people to add them to the
                      master GIT repo.

                      On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Matthew Gersting <mattgersting@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Also, FWIW, some time ago when Adam Haskell was starting up the
                      > short-lived FuseNG project there was talk of integrating the Fusecache
                      > plugin into the core. That offer still, of course, stands.
                      >
                      > --- On Mon, 2/20/12, dcmccan@... <dcmccan@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      > > From: dcmccan@... <dcmccan@...>
                      > > Subject: [fusebox5] Re: Fusebox changing hands and moving forward
                      > > To: fusebox5@yahoogroups.com
                      > > Date: Monday, February 20, 2012, 12:41 AM
                      >

                      > > Fusebox has been a project in need of
                      > > rescuing. Thank you and congratulations.
                      > >
                      > > My suggestion, for what it's worth, is that you take your
                      > > time on the first release and make it rock solid as there
                      > > might be a lot of initial interest because it is being
                      > > revived.  A good release can build on that.
                      > >
                      > > If you need a project codename for the first release I would
                      > > suggest 'Phoenix'.
                      > >
                      > > Best wishes

                      > >     fusebox5-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    • Bob Silverberg
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 20, 2012
                        Hi John,

                        I hope this won't seem like self-promotion, but I wrote an extensive
                        blog series on a workflow that I devised with Git for my open source
                        project(s). I would encourage you to take a look at it at:
                        http://www.silverwareconsulting.com/index.cfm/2010/9/13/A-Git-Workflow-for-Open-Source-Collaboration--Part-I--Introduction,
                        as I am sure it would prove useful to you, and give you some ideas
                        about how Git can be used on a collaborative project.

                        Cheers,
                        Bob

                        On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM, John Blayter <jblayter@...> wrote:
                        > Matthew,
                        >
                        > That is a cool plugin! I will take a look at that later on this week
                        > about adding that to the core files of 5.6. I currently have the
                        > fuseboxApplication.cfc ripped to shreds in trying to get the
                        > fusebox.xml converted to a CFC. I really want to also have a way to
                        > use logbox as well at its core.
                        >
                        > If anyone has some information on GIT patching and merging I would
                        > love to see them. We need to figure out a way for all of us to
                        > contribute to the project and for the core people to add them to the
                        > master GIT repo.
                        >
                        > John Blayter
                        > Land line: 303.731.3009
                        > Mobile: 303.325.1979
                        > http://www.blayter.com/john/
                        >
                        > Denver ColdFusion User Group Manager
                        > http://denvercfug.org/
                        >

                        > On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Matthew Gersting <mattgersting@...>
                        > wrote:
                        >>

                        >> Also, FWIW, some time ago when Adam Haskell was starting up the
                        >> short-lived FuseNG project there was talk of integrating the Fusecache
                        >> plugin into the core. That offer still, of course, stands.
                        >>
                        >> --- On Mon, 2/20/12, dcmccan@... <dcmccan@...>
                        >> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> > From: dcmccan@... <dcmccan@...>
                        >> > Subject: [fusebox5] Re: Fusebox changing hands and moving forward
                        >> > To: fusebox5@yahoogroups.com
                        >> > Date: Monday, February 20, 2012, 12:41 AM
                        >>

                        >> > Fusebox has been a project in need of
                        >> > rescuing. Thank you and congratulations.
                        >> >
                        >> > My suggestion, for what it's worth, is that you take your
                        >> > time on the first release and make it rock solid as there
                        >> > might be a lot of initial interest because it is being
                        >> > revived.  A good release can build on that.
                        >> >
                        >> > If you need a project codename for the first release I would
                        >> > suggest 'Phoenix'.
                        >> >
                        >> > Best wishes

                        >> >     fusebox5-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        Bob Silverberg
                        www.silverwareconsulting.com
                      • hanzo55
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 8, 2012
                          Just wanted to reach out and let everyone know that John's graciously added me to list of support admins overseeing the Fusebox changes on GitHub. Like him, I'm passionate about FB, have used it for years, and like many of you, ended up changing/fixing/adding to it as I went along.

                          The GitHub repository is alive and well, and has already begun to get some pull requests. We hope to see some more forks and contributions from the FB community very soon.

                          If you are new to GitHub, don't let that prevent you from contributing. It's very easy to fork and begin making your own changes, no matter how trivial (even fixing typos in comments). I think what prevents a lot of people from getting started is the public rejection they *think* they'll get when they have a piece of functionality to contribute, and when they make a pull request, the admins slam down the reject button and point and laugh...

                          ...I'm here to tell you, the admins are just as nervous contributing our own 2-cents to the code. And we want criticism! That's how code gets better and evolves.

                          So please, even if you think nobody would care about your tiny little change or bug-fix, I guarantee it will be more significant than you know.

                          Remember: Any contribution is a *huge* leap from zero-percent to non-zero percent.

                          https://github.com/fusebox-framework

                          --- In fusebox5@yahoogroups.com, Bob Silverberg <bob.silverberg@...> wrote:

                          > Hi John,
                          >
                          > I hope this won't seem like self-promotion, but I wrote an extensive
                          > blog series on a workflow that I devised with Git for my open source
                          > project(s). I would encourage you to take a look at it at:
                          > http://www.silverwareconsulting.com/index.cfm/2010/9/13/A-Git-Workflow-for-Open-Source-Collaboration--Part-I--Introduction,
                          > as I am sure it would prove useful to you, and give you some ideas
                          > about how Git can be used on a collaborative project.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > Bob
                          >
                          > On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM, John Blayter <jblayter@...> wrote:
                          > > Matthew,
                          > >
                          > > That is a cool plugin! I will take a look at that later on this week
                          > > about adding that to the core files of 5.6. I currently have the
                          > > fuseboxApplication.cfc ripped to shreds in trying to get the
                          > > fusebox.xml converted to a CFC. I really want to also have a way to
                          > > use logbox as well at its core.
                          > >
                          > > If anyone has some information on GIT patching and merging I would
                          > > love to see them. We need to figure out a way for all of us to
                          > > contribute to the project and for the core people to add them to the
                          > > master GIT repo.
                          > >
                          > > John Blayter
                          > > Land line: 303.731.3009
                          > > Mobile: 303.325.1979
                          > > http://www.blayter.com/john/
                          > >
                          > > Denver ColdFusion User Group Manager
                          > > http://denvercfug.org/
                          > >

                          > > On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Matthew Gersting <mattgersting@...>
                          > > wrote:
                          > >>

                          > >> Also, FWIW, some time ago when Adam Haskell was starting up the
                          > >> short-lived FuseNG project there was talk of integrating the Fusecache
                          > >> plugin into the core. That offer still, of course, stands.
                          > >>
                          > >> --- On Mon, 2/20/12, dcmccan@... <dcmccan@...>

                          > --
                          > Bob Silverberg
                          > www.silverwareconsulting.com

                        • Peter Boughton
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 9, 2012
                            from https://github.com/fusebox-framework/Fusebox-ColdFusion/pull/2
                            > Until we come up with a more formalized routine here, we'll begin
                            > by merging bug fixes into the 'master' branch, while new development
                            > will be pulled to (you guessed it) the 'develop' branch.

                            This is not a sensible approach.

                            Master should always contain the stable version/release and should
                            only receive *merges* from other tested branches.

                            Any changes (whether bug fixes or new features) should be done on the
                            appropriate branch (feature/develop/release) in the local repo and
                            pulled into the equivalent branch in the main repository, before going
                            through the standard testing/release process.

                            Bob has already suggested a sensible routine, but to repeat the key
                            part - use this:

                            It might appear complicated, but it's really not, and it is a good way
                            to structure things, particularly as it is a well known model, so
                            requires no extra explanation (just say "fusebox uses the nvie
                            branching model" and link to that page).

                            So yeah, I definitely recommend that model, as well as following
                            through Bob's four-part tutorial which explains key parts in more
                            detail.

                            TLDR version:
                            1) Read this: http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/
                            2) Read this: http://www.silverwareconsulting.com/index.cfm/2010/9/13/A-Git-Workflow-for-Open-Source-Collaboration--Part-I--Introduction
                            3) Apply sensible structure.

                            :)
                          • Shawn Holmes
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 9, 2012
                              Allow me to rephrase:

                              We have no routine. We're getting one. We're open to options, including Bob's suggestions.

                              I'll read through them in greater detail before I can opine either way. In the interim, I made a gut-instinct decision to follow the process employed by Sean Corfield with his FW/1 github project.

                              I concur with you on not merging untested code into master; the one-off merge I was speaking I only eyeballed (it was trivial) but formal tests are more appropriate in the long-term, and they need to arrive in 'develop' first.

                              I also tagged the initial master branch at v5.5.2, which equates to the version on loaded on the Fusebox.org site, in case we need to roll back and clean-up the process.

                              But, in general: Yes--you are correct, and moving forward, we'll be employing a sensible routine that fits with best practices across the board, and this means pulling merges into the develop branch, including bug-fixes.

                              I think we would be doing everyone a huge disservice if we didn't.