Fusebox Updates

  • Adam Haskell
    Message 1 of 65 , Sep 19, 2008
      I've begun adding some features to Fusebox 5.5. I'd like to keep the discussion a centralized as possible, I turned comments off on the blog so please leave comments in this thread.

      http://cfrant.blogspot.com/2008/09/fusebox-status.html

      The features part (there is more in the entry if interested):

      I've not tried to hide my disdain for circuit XML in Fusebox (have no fear it is going no where and will get lovin' when it needs lovin', too many of you people are masochists and like the XML). As a sign of good faith I added a feature to the XML fusebox that had always really bugged me (I'd like feedback on the good/bad side of this change). I've always hated having 15 circuit.xml files open in the editor which lead to the addition to the circuit.xml finding algorithm. Fusebox (in the BER that I plan to push sometime this weekend) will now find alias.xml or alias.xml.cfm in the path specified in Fusebox.xml.

      The second feature that I added was something I really wanted to see, and I wanted it at Kroger. Fusebox now supports defining No XML circuits in fusebox.xml. What this means is you do not have to rely on Fusebox's location conventions to leverage No XML circuits. In Kroger our application layout does not match the conventions that Fusebox wanted to impose. I had a long discussion with some friends and colleagues about changing Kroger's application layout vs adding some functionality to Fusebox. In the end I felt it was a feature that would give Fusebox users a nice mesh between configuration and convention.

      Feel free to post additional feature requests in this thread.

      Adam

    • houston_blue_texas
      Message 65 of 65 , Nov 28, 2008
        Sweet! I'll be sad if release-notes for next version of FB don't
        include "Hitch Hikers Guide-inspired" next to certain items. ;-)

        --- In fusebox5@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Haskell" <a.haskell@...> wrote:

        > Correct this is not implemented, or at least I did not intentionally
        do that
        > ;)
        >
        > I could look at this beginning of next year. I guess I should have
        posted
        > this but I am on a coding freeze until January. I've been
        concentrating on
        > ready some good books, non technical, to get my thoughts all clear
        before
        > diving into Fusebox, and other projects, again. Right now I am
        reading Hitch
        > Hikers Guide to the Galaxy series of novels if anyone is interested :) .
        >

        > Adam
        >

        > On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 7:41 PM, Daniel Kim <danielskim@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I was glad to read about the change to allow for circuits to be
        named
        > > [alias].xml.cfm.
        > >
        > > After trying to implement it, am I wrong in finding that it doesn't
        > > work with "allowImplicitCircuits" and not explicitly defining the
        > > circuits in the fusebox.xml.cfm file? If not, is this on the roadmap
        > > to implement?
        > >
        > > Basically, I have:
        > >
        > > /controller/alias1.xml.cfm
        > > /controller/alias2.xml.cfm
        > >
        > > <parameter name="allowImplicitCircuits" value="true" />
        > >
        > > and alias1 and alias2 are not defined as circuits in the
        > > fusebox.xml.cfm file
        > >

        > > --- In fusebox5@yahoogroups.com <fusebox5%40yahoogroups.com>, Adam
        Haskell