Fusebox 5.5 No XML Nested Directory Circuits Supported?

  • Derek Lin
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
      If I have this file structure:

      myCompany
          theModules
              Orders
              Companies
                  CompanyUsers

      Without using XML, how can I link fuseaction=CompanyUsers.home to my home.cfm in myCompany\theModules\Orders\Companies\CompanyUsers?

      Is that supported?  Any examples or hints are much appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Derek
    • Sean Corfield
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
        On Feb 1, 2008, at 4:23 PM, Derek Lin wrote:
        If I have this file structure:

        myCompany
            theModules
                Orders
                Companies
                    CompanyUsers

        Without using XML, how can I link fuseaction=CompanyUsers.home to my home.cfm in myCompany\theModules\Orders\Companies\CompanyUsers?

        You can't. No-XML has a set of conventions that you need to follow in order to be rewarded with not having to use XML :)

        I've said it before (several times!) and I'll say it again (and again, I expect):

        The no-XML option is a simplified approach to building Fusebox applications that trades off control and flexibility in exchange for zero configuration, thus dramatically reducing the amount of 'code' (aka XML) you need to write.

        I urge folks who don't understand this trade off to have a look at Ruby on Rails since that's where much of the no-XML option got its inspiration from...

        Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

        -- Margaret Atwood

      • Derek Lin
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
          Thanks Sean.  That's what I thought.

          And if I have my circuits mapped by XML, I have to use XML for everything else right?--there is no mixed XML and no-XML mode right?
          For that matter, if I map one circuit with XML, none of the no-XML feature works -- and I have to map everything else with XML right?  It would be nice to have a mixed mode.

          Thanks,

          Derek

          To: fusebox5@yahoogroups.com
          From: seanc@...
          Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 19:00:44 -0800
          Subject: Re: [fusebox5] Fusebox 5.5 No XML Nested Directory Circuits Supported?

[...]

          An Architect's View -- http://corfield. org/

          -- Margaret Atwood

        • Sean Corfield
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
            On Feb 1, 2008, at 9:40 PM, Derek Lin wrote:
            And if I have my circuits mapped by XML, I have to use XML for everything else right?--there is no mixed XML and no-XML mode right?

            Yes, there is. You can have fusebox.xml or not, independent of whether any given circuit has circuit.xml or not. If you have fusebox.xml, you can declare circuits in any directory. Any circuit can have circuit.xml or can be an implicit circuit directory. If it is not declared in fusebox.xml, it can have circuit.xml or be an implicit circuit directory, or can resolve to a CFC for the circuit (you cannot declare a circuit in fusebox.xml and have it be a CFC - that's about the only restriction on mixing modes I think).

            You can dynamically do() a fuseaction declared in XML from a fuse or a CFC-as-circuit. You can also call myFusebox.do() from circuit.xml. The target of do() can be any reachable fuseaction.

            Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

            -- Margaret Atwood

          • Derek Lin
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
              Ok.  Here is what I did.  I took the fusebox550.skeleton.cfmx2\skeleton\noxml and installed it.  It runs fine.

              Then I added fusebox.xml.cfm to noxml that looks like:

              <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

              <!DOCTYPE fusebox>

              <fusebox xmlns:test="test">

              <circuits>

              <circuit alias="companyuser" path="com/derek/company/user/" parent="" />

              </circuits>

              </fusebox>

              Created my folder: com\derek\company\user, create page say_hello.cfm

              Went into controller\app.cfc and added
              <cfset
              myFusebox.do( action="companyuser.say_hello" ) />
              to the welcome function.

              I got "undefined Circuit" error

              Do I have to create more XML?  I have attached my noxml.zip here as well.

              Thanks,

              Derek

              To: fusebox5@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2008
                Don't forget that if you add circuits, you need to force a reload of
                the framework via ?fusebox.load=true&fusebox.password=skeleton

                Otherwise it won't read fusebox.xml :)