Parsed files corruption

  • Peter Boughton
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2007
      Hello.
      We're having problems with parsed files somehow getting corrupted on
      our production server.

      We're running on Fusebox 5.1, and I've just double checked that it's
      the same code as the downloadable release. The only difference is that
      line endings have changed from LF to CRLF (I think that's a CVS thing?)

      Parsed files have been excluded from CVS, so there shouldn't be a
      problem there.

      There is another application on the same server, which is infact
      identical code and simply a different FB application key (it's the CMS
      staging site), and we haven't spotted the problem with this one, but
      we're wondering whether there might be some odd conflict caused by
      them both using the same FB core, despite having different FB app keys?

      Initially, the problem could be fixed by simply deleting the parsed
      files and setting all the reload/parse/execute things to true. But now
      that doesn't seem to work, and we have to delete the files and restart CF.

      The problem doesn't appear to be regular/repeatable - it happens
      apparently at random, and might happen several times one after the
      other and then be fine for ages.

      Anyone have any ideas on how to figure out what the problem is, and
      how to properly fix it?

      Thanks.

      Peter
    • J.J. Merrick
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2007
        I had the same issue but come to find out production was (stupid me) set to development.

        Give that a whirl and see if that helps you out.

        J.J. Merrick

        --
        |  J.J. Merrick
        |  Web Application Developer
        |  jay@...
        |  m: 615-496-8205
        |  o:  615-469-4405
        |   http://www.cyber-jay.com
        |  Certified Advanced Macromedia ColdFusion MX 7 Developer
      • Sean Corfield
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2007
          On May 1, 2007, at 8:19 AM, Peter Boughton wrote:
          > We're having problems with parsed files somehow getting corrupted on
          > our production server.

          Just to confirm: the application is running in "production" mode, yes?

          Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

          -- Margaret Atwood
        • Peter Boughton
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2007
            Yep, mode is set to production in fusebox.xml

            --- In fusebox5@yahoogroups.com, Sean Corfield <seanc@...> wrote:

            > On May 1, 2007, at 8:19 AM, Peter Boughton wrote:
            > > We're having problems with parsed files somehow getting corrupted on
            > > our production server.
            >
            > Just to confirm: the application is running in "production" mode, yes?
            >
            > Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
            > An Architect's View -- http://corfield.org/
            >
            > "If you're not annoying somebody, you're not really alive."
            > -- Margaret Atwood

          • Michael Traher
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2007
              (I work with Peter)

              I'm wondering if we need to add a loadclean=true on a separate site into our deployment process?

              or should we just start including the parsed files in the project in CVS?

              assuming that people update all files in a project before they commit the parsed files should always be consistent with the rest of the code.

              do other folks store the parsed files in CVS/SVN or exclude them?

              --
              Mike T
              Blog http://www.socialpoints.com/
              Message 6 of 12 , May 1, 2007
                As a rule, derived files don't belong in the source tree.  However there is something to be said for not having to worry about file corruption, or in production mode, worrying as much about people visiting modified circuits before you've had an opportunity to recompile the framework.  If you have a very large site on busy hard-working servers, generation of the parsed files can take a little bit of time, and being able to move your parsed files directly in is probably less dangerous overall (as long as you can guarantee your parsed files are clean)

                We're considering leaving parsed in svn:ignore, but setting up our move scripts to copy the parsed folder from our staging environment with everything else; in staging we'd do a full reload, test, then move the whole kit & kaboodle.

                OT: Check out rsync (it's in Fink, native to most Linuxes, and available to Windows as part of Cygwin).  It can prepare in advance, and automatically copy in all changed files as temporary, then quickly move them into their final resting points so the time between the first and last changes to any production file is as minimal as possible.  It can also create backups of the files it's about to replace, just in case you get an "Oh $#@%" moment and need to immediately roll back to whatever was on the server previously.

                -Eric

                --
                Mike T
                Blog http://www.socialpo ints.com/

                This communication, including any attachments, is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information which is privileged, confidential, exempt from disclosure under applicable law or subject to copyright. If you are not an intended recipient, any use, disclosure, distribution, reproduction, review or copying is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately. Thank you.

                Cette communication,y compris les pieces jointes, est reservee a l'usage exclusif du destinataire et peut contenir des informations privilegiees, confidentielles, exemptees de divulgation selon la loi ou protegees par les droits de publication. Si vous n'etes pas un destinataire, toute utilisation, divulgation, distribution, reproduction, examen ou copie est non-autorisee et peut etre illegale. Si vous avez recu cette communication par erreur, veuillez aviser l'expediteur immediatement. Merci.
              • Peter Boughton
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2007
                  We're already using rsync in our deployment process (we have a CVS
                  sandbox on the server which we CVS update, and then rsync to the live
                  box, excluding the CVS metadata).

                  So, I'm having a fiddle to see if we can have the deployment ant
                  script generate the parsed files (by calling a dummy fa) before the
                  syncing, using a loadclean+parseall on the cvs sandbox section, which
                  would hopefully solve all the problems.
                  (Unfortunately it adds over two and a half minutes to the deployment
                  times, but since we're going to be doing more controlled releases now,
                  that should be so much of an issue.)

                  Once I've got things running on the production server, I'll post again
                  to let people know how it goes. :)

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3, 2007
                    Ok, having some problems which hopefully someone here might be able to
                    offer suggestions or help with.

                    The ant script uses the get command to load a simple circuit with a
                    URL parameter.
                    This then triggers the following at the top of Application.cfc

                    <cfif StructKeyExists(Url,'**REMOVED**')>
                    <!--- Generating parsed files only; skip application startup. --->
                    <cfset Request.SkipStartup = True/>
                    <cfset Request.StartTime = GetTickCount()/>
                    <cfset Url['fusebox.loadclean'] = True/>
                    <cfset Url['fusebox.parseall'] = True/>
                    <cfsetting requesttimeout="300" showdebugoutput="false"/>
                    <cfelse>
                    <cfset Request.SkipStartup = False/>
                    </cfif>

                    Which skips all processing in onApplicationStart, onSessionStart,
                    onRequestStart and fusebox.init.cfm

                    The fuseaction it runs is a really simple one:
                    <circuit access="public">
                    <fuseaction name="generate" access="public">
                    <include template="dsp_finished"/>
                    </fuseaction>
                    </circuit>

                    With dsp_finished.cfm being this:
                    <cfoutput>#(GetTickCount()-Request.StartTime)/1000#s</cfoutput>
                    <cfabort/>

                    So, in theory it should simply generate all the parsed files and
                    output the time it has taken.

                    And that is what it's doing locally.

                    But on the production server it's erroring.

                    "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"

                    Which is at D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxLexiconCompiler.cfc:47
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxVerb.cfc:128
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxVerb.cfc:136
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxVerb.cfc:136
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxAction.cfc:65
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxCircuit.cfc:225
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxDoFuseaction.cfc:230
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxVerb.cfc:136
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxVerb.cfc:136
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxVerb.cfc:136
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxVerb.cfc:136
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxAction.cfc:65
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxCircuit.cfc:225
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxApplication.cfc:509
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxDoFuseaction.cfc:219
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxAction.cfc:65
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxCircuit.cfc:225
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxApplication.cfc:509
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxApplication.cfc:429
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxApplication.cfc:316
                    D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fusebox5.cfm:76
                    C:\deploy\**removed**\index.cfm:5

                    Any ideas?

                    (The live website itself is working fine at the moment, so I'm
                    reluctant to restart the server)

                    Thanks

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 3, 2007
                      On May 3, 2007, at 5:44 AM, Peter Boughton wrote:
                      > But on the production server it's erroring.
                      >
                      > "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"
                      >
                      > Which is at D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxLexiconCompiler.cfc:47

                      Do you have the core files / application on different drives? The
                      underlying Java libraries do not allow relative path navigation
                      across drives on Windows.

                      Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

                      -- Margaret Atwood
                    • Peter Boughton
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                        Ah! Yes, the main webroot is on D, but the files are deployed to C
                        (before being synced there).

                        That's a pain. I guess the solution is to shift the deploy directory to D?

                        --- In fusebox5@yahoogroups.com, Sean Corfield <seanc@...> wrote:

                        > On May 3, 2007, at 5:44 AM, Peter Boughton wrote:
                        > > But on the production server it's erroring.
                        > >
                        > > "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"
                        > >
                        > > Which is at D:\inetpub\fusebox5\fuseboxLexiconCompiler.cfc:47
                        >
                        > Do you have the core files / application on different drives? The
                        > underlying Java libraries do not allow relative path navigation
                        > across drives on Windows.
                        >
                        > Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
                        > An Architect's View -- http://corfield.org/
                        >
                        > "If you're not annoying somebody, you're not really alive."
                        > -- Margaret Atwood

                      • Bellas, Adam
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                          It sounds like there are two solutions.  Either move the deployment to D or make your paths absolute.  That is, if the underlying Java libs support absolute.  I'm reading Sean's reply very specifically here to derive this.

                           - Adam Bellas

                          Ah! Yes, the main webroot is on D, but the files are deployed to C
                          (before being synced there).

                          That's a pain. I guess the solution is to shift the deploy directory to D?

                          --- In fusebox5@yahoogroup s.com, Sean Corfield <seanc@...> wrote:

                          > On May 3, 2007, at 5:44 AM, Peter Boughton wrote:
                          > > But on the production server it's erroring.
                          > >
                          > > "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"
                          > >
                          > > Which is at D:\inetpub\fusebox5 \fuseboxLexiconC ompiler.cfc: 47
                          >
                          > Do you have the core files / application on different drives? The
                          > underlying Java libraries do not allow relative path navigation
                          > across drives on Windows.
                          >
                          > Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
                          > An Architect's View -- http://corfield. org/
                          >
                          > "If you're not annoying somebody, you're not really alive."
                          > -- Margaret Atwood

                        • Sean Corfield
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 4, 2007
                            On May 4, 2007, at 9:43 AM, Bellas, Adam wrote:
                            It sounds like there are two solutions.  Either move the deployment to D or make your paths absolute.  That is, if the underlying Java libs support absolute.  I'm reading Sean's reply very specifically here to derive this.

                            Fusebox attempts to calculate relative paths from one path to another so that it can use <cfinclude> (because Fusebox doesn't have any knowledge of mappings). So there is one solution: move the app and deployment to the same drive.

                            Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

                            -- Margaret Atwood