RE: [fusebox5] MissingFuse handler for development

  • Stephen Cassady
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2006
      Has this been made accessible from the fusebox.org site? It would be good to
      have a list/archive of third party plug-ins, layouts, code from the fusebox
      site.

      Stephen.

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
        So on a live site, I can start inserting new fuses into your circuit.xml ?

        Let's go there....I wonder how big I can make your circiut files?

        Nat Papovich wrote:

        > I've been building a new FB5 application for the last couple months
        > and have found myself adding fuses on a daily basis. My natural
        > development process is to make the circuit.xml then go back and add
        > the fuses. But sometimes I get out of order and try to hit a
        > fuseaction in my browser before I've even made the empty fuse,
        > resulting in a missing .cfm error.
        >
        > To assist in this aspect of development, I've created a simple
        > fusebox.missingFuse.cfm errortemplate.
        >
        > Just drop the attached (I hope the attachement goes through!) file
        > into your errortemplates folder and whenever the Fusebox cores hit a
        > missing fuse in circuit.xml, it will be automatically created for you.
        > It's just a lil' handy time-saver.
        >
        > Modify line 1 if you're using development-circuit-load.
        >
        > Enjoy!
        >
        > NAT

      • Barney Boisvert
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
          It creates a file on the filesystem if the XML indicates one should be
          there, but one doesn't actually exist. It doesn't exit the XML, it
          just creates files so that everything the XML thinks is there,
          actually is there.

          A pre-process development-only plugin might be a better spot for this
          functionality, however. That way ALL missing fuses would be created,
          not just the first missing one that the parse file tries to execute.
          Be a bit harder to write (as it'd mean traversing the XML tree, rather
          than just waiting for errors) however, so perhaps not worth it.

          cheers,
          barneyb

          --
          Barney Boisvert
          bboisvert@...

          Got Gmail? I have 100 invites.
        • Nat Papovich
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
            Barney, this errortemplate does in fact create all missing fuses <include>d in circuit.xml. The first missing include is caught, handled by the errortemplate, then the page is refreshed automatically. In the case of a second missing <include>, it will again get caught and written. Ad nauseum. Helpful for, say, the act_file, the other act_file, then the dsp_file.

            If you wanted to enable this errortemplate in production mode, you could, for example, modify line 1 to work in production mode as well as, for example, send you an email message when it encountered a missing fuse rather than write out an empty fuse like it does now.

            NAT

            On 10/2/06, Barney Boisvert <bboisvert@...> wrote:

            It creates a file on the filesystem if the XML indicates one should be
            there, but one doesn't actually exist. It doesn't exit the XML, it
            just creates files so that everything the XML thinks is there,
            actually is there.

            A pre-process development-only plugin might be a better spot for this
            functionality, however. That way ALL missing fuses would be created,
            not just the first missing one that the parse file tries to execute.
            Be a bit harder to write (as it'd mean traversing the XML tree, rather
            than just waiting for errors) however, so perhaps not worth it.

            cheers,
            barneyb

            On 10/2/06, Adam Reynolds <adam@...> wrote:
            > So on a live site, I can start inserting new fuses into your circuit.xml ?
            >
            > Let's go there....I wonder how big I can make your circiut files?
            >
            > Nat Papovich wrote:
            > >
            > > I've been building a new FB5 application for the last couple months
            > > and have found myself adding fuses on a daily basis. My natural
            > > development process is to make the circuit.xml then go back and add
            > > the fuses. But sometimes I get out of order and try to hit a
            > > fuseaction in my browser before I've even made the empty fuse,
            > > resulting in a missing .cfm error.
            > >
            > > To assist in this aspect of development, I've created a simple
            > > fusebox.missingFuse.cfm errortemplate.
            > >
            > > Just drop the attached (I hope the attachement goes through!) file
            > > into your errortemplates folder and whenever the Fusebox cores hit a
            > > missing fuse in circuit.xml, it will be automatically created for you.
            > > It's just a lil' handy time-saver.
            > >
            > > Modify line 1 if you're using development-circuit-load.
            > >
            > > Enjoy!
            > >
            > > NAT

          • Barney Boisvert
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
              And you just pray that you don't have something that causes issues
              when executing multiple times in succession above the last missing
              fuse?

              Not that it's a bad solution, mind you, just that it's got some
              potential issues, and needs to be used carefully as a result. It's
              mostly because you can only catch a single missing fuse per request.
              A structure scan could catch them all in one fell swoop (and remain
              efficient, since the scan would only need to happen when XML is
              reloaded (which is simple to check)).

              cheers,
              barneyb

              --
              Barney Boisvert
              bboisvert@...

              Got Gmail? I have 100 invites.
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2006
                Adam, don't forget that this only reacts to the circuit.xml, and not
                to anything that a user can inject maliciously. You wouldn't be able
                to make his circuit files any larger than they are. Unless in his
                fuseaction he had <include template="#attributes.filename#"/> I guess :p

                Mike
                www.fusebuilder.net

                --- In fusebox5@yahoogroups.com, Adam Reynolds <adam@...> wrote:

                > So on a live site, I can start inserting new fuses into your
                circuit.xml ?

                > Let's go there....I wonder how big I can make your circiut files?
                >
                > Nat Papovich wrote:
                > >
                > > I've been building a new FB5 application for the last couple months
                > > and have found myself adding fuses on a daily basis. My natural
                > > development process is to make the circuit.xml then go back and add
                > > the fuses. But sometimes I get out of order and try to hit a
                > > fuseaction in my browser before I've even made the empty fuse,
                > > resulting in a missing .cfm error.
                > >
                > > To assist in this aspect of development, I've created a simple
                > > fusebox.missingFuse.cfm errortemplate.
                > >
                > > Just drop the attached (I hope the attachement goes through!) file
                > > into your errortemplates folder and whenever the Fusebox cores hit a
                > > missing fuse in circuit.xml, it will be automatically created for you.
                > > It's just a lil' handy time-saver.
                > >
                > > Modify line 1 if you're using development-circuit-load.
                > >
                > > Enjoy!
                > >
                > > NAT

              • Nat Papovich