Re: [furt-l] Violin Concerto Op. 61

  • Lee Schipper
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 28, 2005
      I have both the Brahms and the Mendelsson with
      F and RaI Torino.
      Didn't know they ever did the Beethoven. She was a so-so player....I think married to an important EMI person...so it is not impossible.

      >>> mutokukai@... 9/28/2005 7:51:21 AM >>>
      I was recently offered a set of CDs from ANDROMEDA (?)
      CD NUMBER 6 includes parts of a recording, exeedingly poor in sound and (to me)
      musical qualities.
      Has anybody heard of - I quote - "Gioconda De Vito, violin
      Orchestra &Conductor unknown. Performance probably attributable to Furtwängler &
      Philarmonia Orchestra. Probably recorded in 1952 or 1953" ?????????????
      Stéphane BENEDETTI
    • Alan Carrier
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 28, 2005
        I have the complete performance forst issued on the
        Italien label "Idis". I believe the Andromeda edition
        is just bits and pieces as opposed to the entire
        concerto. According to the notes the original discs
        are from de Vito's own collection. I have read
        elsewhere that Henry Vogel has come firmly down on the
        side that this is NOT a Furtwaengler performance. I
        have not listened enough to formulate my own opinion.
        There is no mention in either of the Tremine
        discographies or the concert listing (but this amazing
        discographical achievement (second only to Monika
        Wolf's discography of Fischer-Dieskau) contains errors
        and omissions). I rather like de Vito (I have a large
        box set issued in Japan - where they seem to be crazy
        for all things violin) that has some rather lovely
        playing: Bach with Kubelik especially.

        Alan Carrier
        New York City

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 28, 2005
          De Vito married David Bicknell, EMI’s director of classical
          recordings, in 1949.

          -Lofty

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2005
            Dear Friends,
            Alan Carrier is right, it's only bits but what I have heard is impossible to
            associate to Furtwängler conducting...
            Thank you for the informations,
            Keep this letter alive !
            S Benedetti - Barcelona - Spain

          • martinr56
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 6, 2005
              I agree. There is no Beethoven concerto with de Vito and Furtwangler
              recordings. Only, 3 Menuhin, one Schneiderhan, et one Rohn
              concudcted by Furt.

              Martin