[furt-l] the BBC Program and other Memoria

  • Lee Schipper
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2005
      It strikes me as remarkable that almost all the musical examples were
      from recordings unknown when Furtwaengler died and
      mostly unknown (and unavailable) when the BBC 10th Memorial program was
      recorded in 1964. Elisabeth told me that after his death
      the record companies looked around for something to put out and grabbed
      the 1951 Bayreuth 9th...but on hesitation she added
      that the 1954 Luzerne would have been much better. Now we know that
      there are dozens of "alternatives" to studio recordings that were
      done in the 1940s/50s. I'm glad the BBC took the effort to put in "new"
      things (1944 Freischutz Overture and other wartime excerpts, 1954
      Luzerne IXth excerpts, Salzburg
      excerpts (including his piano cadence from the 5th B-burg, Otello, Don
      Giovanni, the Wolf Recital), etc.

      On the other hand, I was disappointed in the end that Lufthansa showed
      so little interest and made someone else the "Feature" of the month. So
      much disappointed that I flew another carrier home
      from India (it was also $900 less than Lufthansa). Let's hope other
      memorials and material turn up in the coming few months of the new
      year.

      Lee Schipper
      Washington DC