[furt-l] Furtwangler - EMI great conductors release

  • David Harbin
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2004
      CATALOGUE NR: 5628752
      RECORD LABEL: EMI Great Conductors
      FORMAT: 2 CD Set
      PRICE: £ 7.99 including VAT, or £ 6.80 excluding VAT
      What do you make of this??? David

      RELEASE DATE: 07-Jun-2004

      COMPOSER: Ludwig van Beethoven
      TITLE: Wihelm Furtwangler
      TRACKS: Symphony No.3 in E flat op.55 Eroica. Symphony
      No.9 in D minor op.125 Choral - movements I-II.
      Symphony No.9 in D minor op.125 Choral. Symphony No.5
      in C minor op.67 - movements II-IV.
      ORCHESTRA: Vienna Philharmonic and Berlin Philharmonic

      CONDUCTOR: Wilhelm Furtwangler
      ARTISTS: Erna Berger Walther Ludwig Rudolf Watzke

    • Lee Schipper

        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2004
          This is very mysterious - why partial symphonies? My recollection of this
          series is complete works only. Certainly has been the case with the issues
          I have - quite a few. They are very good for introductions to conductors
          you want to get to know better.

          The listing is not clear - is the Choral Sym spread over 2 disks? Are
          different versions used? EMI has the great Bayreuth one in its catalog, so
          are they also including bits of another performance? And why only three
          movements of the 5th. Most mysterious, captain, said Mr Spock.

          Eric

          Message 4 of 9 , May 4, 2004
            While we are on commemorative editions, has anyone seen the announced release of an 8 cd set by Orfeo dedicated to works conducted by Furtwangler with the VPO (including at Salzburg?). I understand that there were to be some items that had never been released previously, including a Stravinsky symphony....

            Orfeo has done some good work with their historical releases. An 8 cd set dedicated to WF, depending of what is included, might be very welcome indeed.

            Lastly, has anyone heard the M & A Furtwangler Don Giovanni transfer yet?

            Boyd Cathey
          • Andrea Pignataro
            Message 5 of 9 , May 4, 2004
              Couldn't EMI work harder? DG is publishing a 6cd set
              and they would like to commemorate Furtwangler with
              incomplete symphonies of Beethoven?

            • Giacomo Ponzetto
              Message 6 of 9 , May 4, 2004
                Surely Japanese-reading list member should check, but I gather that Tower
                Records in Japan has details on this issue and is accepting pre-orders.
                http://www.towerrecords.co.jp/sitemap/CSfCardMain.jsp?GOODS_NO=737481&GOODS_SORT_CD=102
                It seems the Eroica is a performance with the Wiener Philharmoniker in
                Munich on September 4th 1953, which I had no previous knowledge of - but I
                am by no means a "completist", so it is probably just my fault (I knew of a
                Fourth in that date and place ...)
                The Ninth is the expected one from May 1st 1937 in London.
                The Fifth is apparently September 7-8th 1944 from the Staatsoper in Berlin,
                with the first movement missing from the source, which is said to be
                Melodiya. Again I personally did not knew of this recording before, but I
                am no authority.

                I do not think it should be impossible to put the three symphonies, minus
                one movement, on 2CDs.
                Based on actual duration of other Furtwaengler performances I have, the
                Eroica runs to about 50 minutes, which may leave room for the first two
                movements of the Ninth, being around 30 minutes. The rest of the Ninth is
                around 45 minutes, and an incomplete Fifth can well fit into 35 minutes.
                I agree that his is based on Furtwaengler being just a little faster than
                usual (e.g. the 1952 Eroica on EMI is 52'20" and would not fit with the
                first two movements of the 1942 Ninth which run to 28'40"), but giving or
                taking one minute ...

                This does not seem to be so uninteresting, at least not to me!

                Also, I feel EMI isn't treating Furtwaengler's anniversary so badly.
                They are also putting forth a CD (which I've already ordered) with some
                Strauss and the "Ma Vlast" in their new Great Artists of the 20th Century
                series, and they are also reissuing in another historical series the
                Beethoven First and Third and (separately, of course) Tristan und Isolde.
                If you just count CDs, that's more than six! Sure enough, it is not a nice
                boxed set (and I am not sure it's a pity: this way you can pick and choose;
                although I am personally a victim of clever Deutsche Grammophon
                merchandising anyway) and most items are reissues.
                But the real question is: Does EMI actually has copyright to Furtwaengler
                recordings they are hiding from us?
                My own desires would be the Bruckner sixth, so far - I think - only
                available with a couple of other non-Furtwaengler performances I'm not
                quite interested in, and above all the Tchaivosky Fourth. That's EMI and
                out of print, and I have been wanting it for a long time ...

                But than, what about Decca reissuing the Franck & Schumann ?
                I would also eagerly buy that !

                Best,

                Giacomo

                At 01:12 PM 5/4/2004 +0100, you wrote:
                >CATALOGUE NR: 5628752
                >RECORD LABEL: EMI Great Conductors
                >FORMAT: 2 CD Set
                >PRICE: £ 7.99 including VAT, or £ 6.80 excluding VAT
                >What do you make of this??? David
                >
                >RELEASE DATE: 07-Jun-2004
                >

                >COMPOSER: Ludwig van Beethoven
                >TITLE: Wihelm Furtwangler
                >TRACKS: Symphony No.3 in E flat op.55 Eroica. Symphony
                >No.9 in D minor op.125 Choral - movements I-II.
                >Symphony No.9 in D minor op.125 Choral. Symphony No.5
                >in C minor op.67 - movements II-IV.
                >ORCHESTRA: Vienna Philharmonic and Berlin Philharmonic
                >
                >CONDUCTOR: Wilhelm Furtwangler
                >ARTISTS: Erna Berger Walther Ludwig Rudolf Watzke

              • perovich
                Message 7 of 9 , May 5, 2004
                  >===== Original Message From Giacomo Ponzetto <ponzetto@...> =====
                  >My own desires would be the Bruckner sixth, so far - I think - only
                  >available with a couple of other non-Furtwaengler performances I'm not
                  >quite interested in,

                  I suppose it's no bargain if you're not interested in the other performances
                  (too bad you're not), but the three CD set including the Bruckner VI you refer
                  to, along with one of the Bruckner VIIIs, both done by Furtwaengler, are
                  available at the Berkshire Record Outlet for about $24. (Berkshire may have a
                  new web address, but they're easy to find.)

                  Nick

                • David Harbin
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 9, 2004
                    What is the 1937 9th like? I've heard the woodwind
                    are too far forward but this is only one opinion. It
                    would be fascinating to hear the 1944 5th excerpts.
                    I'd be surprised if the Erica could match the live BPO
                    version but will listen with open ears!

                    I'd like to see EMI remaster and issue the RAI Ring in
                    a cheap box set for Furtwangler's anniversary. It is
                    one of his crowning achievements and hard to find on
                    the CD store shelves these days.

                    I feel I could have put together a better 2CD GCOTC20
                    Cd that this one. Hmmm. I would have had:

                    1 - Meistersinger ovt and Funeral March - both live
                    with BPO 1949
                    2 - (if the sound is tollerable) the 1948 live Albert
                    Hall Immolation scene with Flagstad.
                    3 - live 1944 Sinfinia Domestica
                    4 - Emperor Concerto with Fischer
                    5 - Brahms 4th movt of Symphony 1 live BPO 1945.

                    I feel my programming gives a greater 'spread' and
                    impression of Furtwangler's art than EMI's
                    all-Beethoven efforts.

                    David Harbin
                    Nottingham, UK

                  • Lee Schipper
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 9, 2004
                      Sounds like the program I should suggest to Lufthansa.....

                      Is there a definitive listing of these Beethoven Fragments...? (The
                      1937 Fifth has been out for years.)

                      >>> dharbin_uk@... 5/9/2004 12:21:53 PM >>>