[furt-l] Letter I published in THE NY Times SEpt 14 and only noticed today

  • schipper
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4 11:41 AM
      Embarassingly, I never new this was printed.

      September 14, 2003, Sunday

      ARTS AND LEISURE DESK
      FURTWÄNGLER; On His Side

      To the Editor:

      Jeremy Eichler does a fair job on the Furtwängler enigma without taking
      sides [''The Man Who Kept the Music Playing (for Hitler),'' Aug. 31]. As
      a Furtwängler scholar, however, I have to take sides and defend him.

      Furtwängler never took the Berlin Philharmonic to occupied countries. He
      publicly defended the composer Paul Hindemith against Nazi attacks in
      1934, and continued to protect colleagues and musicians with Jewish
      roots or spouses into the late 1930's; for a radio series I produced, I
      interviewed two who owed him their lives. Warned that the Gestapo would
      arrest him, he escaped by an evasive route to an obscure border
      crossing. Which side does this put him on, persecutor or persecuted?

      LEE SCHIPPER
      Washington

      Published: 09 - 14 - 2003 , Late Edition - Final , Section 2 , Column 5
      , Page 4