Re: [furt-l] Planned 50th anniv issues on DG

  • Lee Schipper
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2004
      I got a good reception from Lufthansa, who are very interested in a F
      memorial program for their inflight programming.

      Let's be imaginative. If we only have 2 hours and need to be
      biographical, what recordings?
      If we were lucky and got that plus an opera for 2 hours, which opera?

      If we also got a two hours stretch of mainly music (longer works), what
      would you suggesT?

      And need I say that the Don GIovanni film would be great for video
      programming.

      Both ELisabeth and Andreas Furtwaengler approve of the idea. I'm
      awaiting a note from the head of classical programming for Lufthansa...
      Viel musicalisches Spass!

      >>> smorris4@... 02/21/04 12:01PM >>>
      Absolutely. And two other Wagner items from that concert, if memory
      serves.
      My curiosity was also piqued to see Tremine's report that there is a
      partial
      live Tchaikowsky Fourth from Luzern, I believe. But most important of
      all,
      because a new work to the WF discography, would be the Berlin Franck
      Symphonic Variations. Together with the DRA Walkuere excerpts (a tape
      reported to be 16 minutes long) and, if it really exists, the other
      Daphnis
      and Cloe! Friends, with all of these we would have a truly splendid two
      CD
      memorial set worth celebrating! Fred?? Rene??
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2004
        Beethoven Coriolan, Third, Meistersinger Prelude; Tchaik.6 from Cairo,
        maybe. A Gluck overture? Schumann Manfred or Fourth. Brahms Hungarian
        dances.
        > I got a good reception from Lufthansa, who are very interested in a F
        > memorial program for their inflight programming.
        >
        > Let's be imaginative. If we only have 2 hours and need to be
        > biographical, what recordings?
        > If we were lucky and got that plus an opera for 2 hours, which opera?
        >
        > If we also got a two hours stretch of mainly music (longer works), what
        > would you suggesT?
        >

        > And need I say that the Don GIovanni film would be great for video
        > programming.
        >
        > Both ELisabeth and Andreas Furtwaengler approve of the idea. I'm
        > awaiting a note from the head of classical programming for Lufthansa...
        > Viel musicalisches Spass!

        > Absolutely. And two other Wagner items from that concert, if memory
        > serves.
        > My curiosity was also piqued to see Tremine's report that there is a
        > partial
        > live Tchaikowsky Fourth from Luzern, I believe. But most important of
        > all,
        > because a new work to the WF discography, would be the Berlin Franck
        > Symphonic Variations. Together with the DRA Walkuere excerpts (a tape
        > reported to be 16 minutes long) and, if it really exists, the other
        > Daphnis
        > and Cloe! Friends, with all of these we would have a truly splendid two
        > CD
        > memorial set worth celebrating! Fred?? Rene??

      • Eric Kisch
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2004
          At 11:36 PM 3/1/2004, you wrote:
          >Beethoven Coriolan, Third, Meistersinger Prelude; Tchaik.6 from Cairo,
          >maybe. A Gluck overture? Schumann Manfred or Fourth. Brahms Hungarian
          >dances.

          Steve - your message took 9 kb with all the copied previous posts. Can we
          keep replies to a minimum necessary to comprehend the response? I would
          add Mozart: Serenade and or 40th symphony. Wagner "bleeding chunks" and
          something light ,e.g, Barber of Seville Ove and Strauss's "Emperor" Waltz,
          a most interesting reading! Also Haydn 88 - they don't get much more cheerful!

          Eric

        • Lofty Becker
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2004
            Lee Schipper wrote:

            > I got a good reception from Lufthansa, who are very interested in a F
            > memorial program for their inflight programming.
            >
            > Let's be imaginative. If we only have 2 hours and need to be
            > biographical, what recordings?
            > If we were lucky and got that plus an opera for 2 hours, which opera?

            I would shoot for both the usual and the unusual, and aim for things that
            are initially appealing -- that is, that a casual listener might come into
            in the middle and stick with. There's got to be Beethoven and Wagner; all
            else is optional. Music that shows his unequalled skills with transitions
            would also be nice.

            EITHER 3d Brandenburg OR the first momement of the 5th Brandenburg with that
            incredible piano part (nobody's ever heard them played like this)

            Dawn and Siegfried's Rhine Journey

            EITHER scene 1 of Rheingold OR Wotan's Farewell OR Immolation Scene

            First or last movement of Bruckner's 7th (8th and 9th are arguably more
            heart-rending performances, but the music is harder to approach and they
            take less well to excerpting). The 7th Adadio would also be good.

            Leonore Overture #3

            Beethoven 5th OR Pastorale (excerpt if time is short; last two movements of
            either would show something of his treatment of transitions) OR Adagio from
            the 9th

            "Si pel ciel" from Otello or the opening scene

            Rossini overture OR last scene of Act II of Figaro.

            -Lofty