[furt-l] HISTORIC TRISTANS--hope it goes!

  • ParsifalCSA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 20, 2004
      Gentlemen:
      Herewith (below) is the note I attempted to send, RE Erich Kleiber's 1952 TRISTAN from Munich. Also, I would certainly be interested in knowing the label on which that Sattler/Baumer TRISTAN (Leipzig, 1938) showed up. Finally, talking of TRISTANs, let me recommend a new Guild Historical release: it's the March 1940 Met benefit TRISTAN, in better sonics than the earlier editions (which are no longer available--I think the old M&A was only in the catalogue for a few years, alas!). Flagstad is in finer voice than in the much-touted 1941 Met issue. This one has Alexander Kipnis singing Konig Marke rather than Emmanuel List--Kipnis is superb.

      <That 1952 Munich TRISTAN, directed by Kleiber, is a real find indeed. As Steve Morris stated, it includes more or less the same cast that Kna' assembled in 1950 [that earlier one is available both on Orfeo d'Or and Gala]: Helena Braun, Ferdinand Frantz, Margarete Klose, and Gunther Treptow (in as fine a voice as I have ever heard him---he really does superbly). Myto has released this one in a tasteful edition, and in excellent sound. As I recall it once showed up briefly on LP, I think on Melodram, in the early 1980s.
      I have Sattler from Frankfort (Hessische Rundfunk) from 1948, in a performance that also features Carl Kronenburg as the RHEINGOLD Wotan. I also know Sattler's complete Act II of TRISTAN (25 April 1940), with Anny Konetzni, Josef von Manowarda, and Viktor Madin, from Vienna, under Hans Weisbach (Preiser 90366).
      All worth acquiring, and all of which puts much of today's singers to shame,,,,

      Boyd Cathey>
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 20, 2004
        === The original message was multipart MIME ===
        === All non-text parts (attachments) have been removed ===

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 20, 2004
          Hi I have the 1938 Tristan with Sattler/Baumer on the Cantus/Line label - I could easily make you a copy let me know Jay

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 20, 2004
            === The original message was multipart MIME ===
            === All non-text parts (attachments) have been removed ===

          • zollnerus
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 10 8:12 AM
              Hi,

              What about a comparison between the last EMI CD set and the Naxos set
              of the 1952 Tristan with Flagstad?
              For me the hiss of the Naxos is annoying and I prefer the EMI set.

              G. Zollner

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 10 8:23 AM

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 10 8:40 AM
                  On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 03:23:13PM +0000, loeb123@... wrote:
                  > === The original message was multipart MIME ===
                  > === All non-text parts (attachments) have been removed ===

                  dodgy attachments !

                  Neil