Re: [furt-l] 1949 Moralt RING cycle

  • Lofty Becker
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 20, 2003
      > What most strikes me about Grob-Prandl's performance is the
      > youthfulness, or even downright girlishness of her interpretation (dispite
      > having ample power and range for the role). I know of no other performance
      > which so projects this quality:

      Actually, I¹d say that the younger Flagstad (particularly the pre-1940 Met
      performances) has this characteristic. I¹m amazed at how young she could
      sound in those years. Another example is her Sieglinde (hearable in the
      complete Act I from her debut, and Acts II and III from a later
      performance).

      Although very different from Furtwangler, of course, I wouldn¹t underrate
      Bodanzky¹s Wagner conducting. To my ear it¹s preferable to Clemens Krauss,
      who was I think wonderful in Richard Strauss but superficial in Wagner.
      Bodanzky shares his fast tempi but gives the orchestra much more weight.

      -Lofty